Who was the first person to become a Jehovah's Witness in your family?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My Grandfather was involved with the witnesses in the early 1930's . My Grandmother told me she never liked him trying to cram religion down her throat .She never became a witness ,but studied with them in her later years . My mom remembered going to the convention were the blue Childrens book was released . Grandpa quit going a bit after that ,I don't know why .

When my mom was in her twenties (1950's) she started studying with witnesses that came to her door . My theory about why she did this is because she was a lonely military wife away from her family ,(her parents had just divorced ) and she was looking for something in her past to hang on to . Her sister was in the same circumstances and started studying at the same time on the other side of the States .My Aunt and Uncle both became witnesses after he left the Navy . My Dad always opposed . My Mom was baptized @ the big NY /Polo grounds convention in the early 1950's . By the time I came around in 1961 she was fully entrenched in Dubland . She organized with other sisters on the Military bases we were stationed at ,and many times doing the meeting parts together with only one brother . She raised four children to become baptized JW's . One brother and sister still consider themselves witnesses , but because of health issues are not active .

In my husbands family his mom studied off and on for six years , her husband violently opposed her becoming a witness . He even stood on their porch with a shotgun once and told her Bible study conductor to never come back or else ! They finally divorced and she became a witness dragging her three kids with . She married a man that was studying in 1974 . Together they had hers ,mine ,and ours , six kids total .

Today my Father in law and his oldest son are Elders , and my mother in law is still active . Out of the other five children only one is somewhat still a witness ,but I think he is fading too . Two nephews and their wives are witnesses .

• oompa
    oompa

my great great grandpa...1919.......oompa...

and still bearing the scars for generations past...thanks god for punishing to the fourth and fifth generation

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yours truly, early 70's.

I got my mother, 3 sisters, and a nephew involved. I tried with other family members who were not impressed.

Now, only 1 sister, her son, and my little girl (19 and in college) are still involved.

Sylvia

• sspo
    sspo

I was the first dummy in my catholic family to join the cult and the only one.

Took me 32 years to see the stupidity and lies of the watchtower.

• ferret
    ferret

My mother's parents back in the thirties.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My maternal grandma. She was raised Mormon, kind of. She was converted in Nebraska in the early 60's. Her, my mom and my uncle were baptized on the same day.

My dad was raised a Catholic. While my mom was inactive she married him. He left the Navy and studied and got baptized when I was 2 I think. In LA.

My uncle has been inactive for years, but I hear he has been going to meetings again. None of my dad's 15 brothers and sisters ever went farther than a study. And my Grandma is still staunch Catholic, as are all the kids. My grandpa was raised Mormon, and I think believes, but doesn't go to church.

My mom's mom was inactive for years too, but became real active again right before she died.

My dad was DF'd when he remarried. He had just got his privileges back on the night he OD'd on hydrocodone.

My mom is the only one left.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My mom was first. Her mom studied, and may have believed some of it, but never joined. Many, many of her relatives eventually joined and now ALL of them have left except for mom (and possibly the nutty cousin who killed her cheating husband and his lover, but she is not someone on my radar anymore. Incidentally, with kids and everything, there was probably 50 - 75 JW's, maybe more. Nearly all were involved to some extent.

Again, now they are almost all out. Mom was loved in at the age of 5 or so originally, when she was the oldest of 3 or 4 kids. I figure it was her only escape from being the big sister and being responsible for all the others(as well as a sick dad whose temper was mercurial based on how much physical pain he was in. He had serious back injuries during the war). A nice older lady would come to take her and sometimes her brother (they were like twins-10 mos apart) to the meetings, and they got to be the cute, center of attention, kids at the meeting, rather than the big kids who had to schlepp and set the 'example' all the time. They just got to be little kids, and dress up and get all the attention. (This is based on the impression my mom gave me of her early JW experience).

My uncle was in till last year sometime. He is out now, too.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Well I had two great aunts who were contacted by John Bohnet in the early 1900's. One of the aunts died in 1910 and I don't know how long she was associated before she died. Of course, they were Bible students back then.

My grandmother started associating, probably around the World War I era, then two uncles in 1940, my immediate family wasn't until the mid 1950's.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Mom in 1959

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

both parents when they were young in the late fifties

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit