Who was the first person to become a Jehovah's Witness in your family?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

My mom,dad,uncles,aunts,and grandparents were all raised Catholic. They were all baptised and married in the Catholic church.

One day in the early 1960's,a Witness preached to my uncle. He started a Bible study and later had his immediate family join in. He got baptized and started to preach to his sisters,brothers,parents,and friends. He became an Elder in the early 1960's and continues to this day. Today,there are over 25 family members who are baptised Jehovah's Witnesses.All of them are going strong except me. I'm the only one who is inactive. I now know that the teachings,beliefs,doctrines,and practices of the WTS are all false.

Who was the first person in your family to become a Witness? Who is still a member and who has dropped out?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

My great great grandfather and mother on my dad's side.... well they werent called JWs back in them days. does that still count?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Dad. Then Mom. Then me and my sibling. I'm proud to say I am the only one who ever went inactive.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My grandparents... about 1910

Coffee

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

My great aunt, (on my dad's side) two aunts, (one my mother's sister, the other my dad's sister) and my dad's cousin all became Witnesses independently of each other. Really independently of each other - in different parts of the country and at different times without contact with each other. I have only met my great aunt a couple of times. She was the first to become a Witness in the 1960s and she is still going the last I heard from her. Then my dad's sister became a Witness in the 1970s, was disfellowshipped in the 1980s and then went back. She is the "strongest" Witness of the bunch. (she was mainly the one who got me to be a Witness) My mum's sister and her whole family became Witnesses in the 1980s, but they drifted away in recent years. I don't think they consider themselves Witnesses anymore. We tend not to talk about it when we see each other because it is a tricky subject on both sides. My cousin (my mum's sister's daughter) recently got married in a church. I am not sure when my dad's cousin became a Witness, I have only met her once. I think she still goes to meetings but could not say for sure.

And then there's me.

• ninja
    ninja

me.....let me tell you all....LSD and live forever books don't mix

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My mother's brother's wife was the only JW in the family.
    She eventually got my mother into it and her own husband.
    Her children were also in it as they grew up.

So that's my aunt, later my mother, my uncle and his kids.
    I came in as an adult. My wife is in, and I won't discuss her
    family, but not many of them are in.

So I am the only one of my family that came out.

• Twitch
    Twitch

My mom studied a bit as a teen but signed on when I was born, or thereabouts. My dad was brought on board in 73/74, for reasons I'm still unsure of ;P

No previous dub "family" history or current relatives.

I left when I was 18. My younger brother left in his 20s. They're both still in.

• ninja
    ninja

we had all dropped acid and were well into our trip....we started talking about nostradamus and stuff....as you do....then a guy we called "kegs" said these immortal words...."I've got a book about the end of the world written by jehovah's witnesses if anybody wants to read it" ....

• asilentone
    asilentone

The answer is my parents. They started studying with the witnesses in the early 60's, got baptized in 1966.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit