Should women be allowed to have 14 kids without job?

by sammielee24 280 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

I wonder why she just didn't go to a bar to get knocked up?

• llbh
    llbh

The mark of a civilised society is the not how we treat the strong among us but the weak. Berating this woman achieves little, helping her and her children ( if she wants it) could help a lot.

I do not see this woman or her family as a paradigm in any sense whatsoever, and from what i can see, neither does anyone else here. If her lifestyle choices do evidentially encourage others to follow a similar path, then is the time to examine her behaviour more closely and empirically.

BTW i agree about larger families usually being more widely spaced , my point was and is, that larger families are per se are of not of any less value, and with care can contribute in time to society. I can think of some people who have one or two children, who are not good at parenting.

Regards David

• Twitch
    Twitch

On principle, yes one can have as many kids as they want

If we allow the state to determine the number (and eventually quality) of children one can have, we enter dangerous territory. There is a point where one's freedoms end; somewhere around the point where society either suffers or is burdened by the one.

However, the problem is (and not just for amateur reductionists like myself :) that real life has no pat, cut and dried answers. This is why we have judges, lobby groups, discussion boards, welfare agencies and bars.

Interesting thread actually

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The mark of a civilised society is the not how we treat the strong among us but the weak.

I don't think she is weak. I think she is manipulative, dishonest, and selfish.

purps

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I think she is manipulative, dishonest, and selfish.

Well, she is a woman.

• oompa
    oompa

i have not read this thread....but "should we allow it" seems to be the question....if we say no, she should not be allowed to...then we have to tie her down and de-pregnant her...i dont think so................oompa

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Berating this woman achieves little, helping her and her children ( if she wants it) could help a lot.

I'm not sure it hurts to berate her at all. She elected to have IVF - she elected to use the business of IVF to have herself impregnated not one time but over and over again, and without apparent regard for the lives of her children, her parents or society. She has 3 disabled children already but her selfish demand for more children may have or could have resulted in more disabled children.

She took the cost of her selfish desires to the hospital who has now billed the government for over $3,000,000.00 - that's just the first bill. She is on disability, her kids are on government disability, government medical and food stamps. People do have a right to berate her because she is using their money collectively to pay for her selfishness. The doctor deserves no pity because he knowingly implanted a large number of embryo's into her with the high probablity of death and/or disability to the mother and the babies.

As for the kids - they will get the help they need I am sure - primarily from the government and from generous souls who will take pity on the children and their needs.

It may achieve little to berate her but then again, it may be what she needs to hear. Her own mother was told to boot her out of the house with the theory that if she was forced to raise the kids on her own and take responsibility for them she wouldn't continue her quest of more and more kids. She didn't have the heart to do it. Society isn't her mother, so maybe hearing all the negative comments might wake her up to the reality of how others see her and how she can change. The business of IVF should be regulated more closely and that can only be achieved if the outcry is loud enough.

Nobody is slamming all big families - I come from a huge family but one of the major differences is spacing and support. As my mother had more children, the older ones helped care for the younger ones. There were more women at home then so neighbours helped out with one another, aunts and uncles babysat and helped out. In this case it was a selfish desire for more and more children without any regard for the wellbeing of anyone other than that her own emotional needs were being met. The two scenarios are very different....and I do think that the men who are sperm donors should be responsible for their offspring as well, so in this case, the father of all 14 kids could be in for a big surprise. sammieswife.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Octuplet mom hits back at critics who ‘fixate’ on her

Nadya Suleman calls scrutiny ‘really kind of sick’ and denies Jolie obsession

Video
    Octuplet mom defends herself
    Feb. 11: Nadya Suleman, the mother of octuplets and six other children, responds to some of the critical reactions to her unfolding story. NBC’s Ann Curry reports.

Today show

Slideshow
    Eight plus six: The Suleman family
    Meet controversial mom Nadya Suleman's remarkable octuplets, and her six other children.
    By Mike Celizic TODAYShow.com contributor updated 8:29 a.m. ET, Wed., Feb. 11, 2009

The California mother of 14, including octuplets born two weeks ago, said in an exclusive interview that the intense scrutiny she has been under is “really kind of sick.”

The Jan. 26 birth of the eight infants catapulted Nadya Suleman from obscurity into the national spotlight. In a new interview with TODAY’s Ann Curry that aired Wednesday, Suleman said she was unprepared for the attention.

“All of a sudden, someone just opens you in half, you know, cuts you and opens you and just wants to dissect you and just wants to put you under a microscope. And it's really kind of sick,” Suleman told Curry. “I think people really need to just focus on their own lives and their own growth and their own self-awareness and stop trying to fixate on other people.”

‘I'm not superhuman’Suleman sat down with Curry last Thursday for her first interview after leaving Kaiser Permanente’s Bellflower Medical Center, where her octuplets remain in neonatal intensive care. She agreed to another interview Tuesday to answer new questions about her finances, her mother and the level of aid she is receiving from government agencies.

Suleman and her six other children, all under the age of 8, live with her mother, Angela Suleman, in a small home. Angela Suleman did not talk with TODAY, but has been quoted in other media saying that her daughter is “incapable” of caring for 14 children.

But Nadya Suleman said she has a good relationship with her mother.

“We talk on the phone, and she adores her grandchildren,” Suleman said. “Regardless of the words she chose to use — she said, ‘Nadya's not capable of taking care’ — what human on this planet is capable to take care of 14 independently without support from family, from friends, from church? No human is. I'm not superhuman. Nor do I claim to be.”

‘A lot of villages’She also responded to suggestions that California child welfare officials should intervene to make sure she’s taking care of all her children.

“Child Protective Services can come and visit anytime they want,” Suleman said. “If they see the interaction I have with my children and the love that's there, because I’m receiving help already. So yes — what is it, it takes a village to raise a child? Well, this will take a lot of villages.”

The Los Angeles Times has reported that Suleman, who had told Curry she has no income, receives $490 a month in food stamps in addition to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments for her 3-year-old son, Aidan, who is autistic, and for two other children who have milder developmental issues. The payments are $600 monthly for each of the three children.

The 33-year-old single mom repeated her belief that she is not receiving welfare.

“I'm not living off of any taxpayer money. If I am, if it's food stamps, it's a temporary resource, and it's only for food,” Suleman said. “It's an excellent resource if used appropriately and not for too long ... We receive no cash. And I've never even applied. I've never applied.”

Jolie wannabe?
    Suleman has maintained that she intends to return to school in the fall to pursue a master’s degree in counseling, a process she said would take 18 months. She expects the degree to lead to a job that will support her brood.

The SSI aid is not for her, Suleman said.

Image: Life & Style magazine cover
    Life & Style Life & Style magazine says that Nadya Suleman has allegedly had procedures to make her look more like Angelina Jolie.
    “I was reluctant to begin with to even apply,” she told Curry, but added that she was finally convinced by others that she needed help for Aidan’s care. “So I did and he was approved, and that money is for him. It is for his care. I do receive help. Of course, when the babies come home, I really need help with him — more help. So the other two children, just for little disabilities, it’s a temporary resource. They've received it now for maybe three months. They'll be reevaluated in another couple months.”

Suleman also replied to people who have speculated that she has had plastic surgery to augment her lips to make herself look like actress and supermom Angelina Jolie.

"I have never thought of Angelina Jolie except the last time I saw one of her movies,” Suleman told Curry. “I think that was years ago. It is so far away from the place I'm in right now to think of any celebrity.”

She denied having any cosmetic surgery.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The mother has setup a website and you can donate money to her...

http://www.thenadyasulemanfamily.com/

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mercy Mercy Mercy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit