6 human Needs! Most Importantly is a need for Certainty!

by Number1Anarchist 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

Certainty has very high survival value in lots of different domains in life. That is why people feel more drawn to someone who provides definite answers to life's big questions than another person who qualifies their answer and appears to be long-winded.

Advertisers make use of certainty all the time: E.g., Our product is the best, etc.

People who predict the future or who say what they believe is going to happen in the future will get no where fast if they sound uncertain. Hence, religions that do best (i.e., in terms of recruitment) usually make very definite statements about what the future holds and what we need to do to enjoy that future.

Two well known people who have spoken with crystal-clear certainty are fundamentalist preacher Billy Graham and athiest Richard Dawkins. Certainty is definitely a human need!

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Two well known people who have spoken with crystal-clear certainty are fundamentalist preacher Billy Graham and athiest Richard Dawkins.

LOL Well if I can't stir the pot, maybe Steve2 can. :-))

R

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    We start to feel depressed if we are not fullfilled with the things around us and start to make changes to fullfill those needs.

My point exactly. For all the intellectual power that a critical examination of superstitious religion has given us, I sometimes wonder if the underlying needs of people that religion tended to meet (or tried to) has been left at the side of the road along with the rejected religious soot of unquestioned authority by religious leaders.

Certainty is dangerous. But there is a difference between an anchor for your soul (if I may wax poetic) and blinded, mind numbing certainty that comes from organized religion.

A personal anchor allows you to navigate your life for you, organized religon is an anchor to the bottom of the blue lagoon.

Our democracy actually allows for a framework where one can explore their own personal certitude without inflicting it on others.... I am curious if we can actually get to that point in coming generations.

• SixofNine
  • yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Switching too fast from cooked foods to totally raw/whole foods can be very hard on your digestive system, but there is hardly a nutritionist who doesn't recommend gradually introducing more raw/whole foods into your diet. Eating more raw/whole fruit, vegetables and grains, and raw protein, is one of the best things you can do for your long-term health. Satanus' comments are typical of the sheer ignorance of most westerners, and especially Americans, on nutrition.

• zagor
    zagor

I guess that means I might be an alien, my list is somewhat different

• wobble
    wobble

I'm with Oompah,we need sex,and I would add money,and sex,and booze,and sex and then sex is that six or sex?

love

Wobble

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Zagor, what is your list, prey tell?

:-))

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    religion. It could be looked upon as an addiction that you are not mentally strong enough to stop. It's your opium!

Dogmatic atheists are a pain in posterior...The sneering remark that religious people believe just because they are emotionally weak, is unfounded and an ad hominem false reasoning.

After all, who can prove the point for certainty? Nobody was there when the World was made,nobody has come back from the dead to tell us what happens.

If for example, one person thinks another "needs the comfort" of a parachute when they jump out of a plane , then the results are soon demonstrated as gravity and our own mortality prove the point. - But it is not like that with religion, We cannot tell in this life that it is all wrong - What if it turns out to be true?

• caliber
    caliber

Allow all their own journey.... this too will in turn give you peace

absolutism--extremism--dogmatism to be replaced by acceptance--balance--understanding --compassion

comfort and support your fellowman always !

A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.
    Buddha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit