My Brother In Law just died tonight.

by AK - Jeff 36 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

He was 51. We had not been close in the past few years.

He suffered from a rare ailment called Sarcoid. It can afflict several organs of the body, but in his case, it affected his brain. It caused swelling, and subsequent issues from that. He has had it about 10 years I believe. My SIL lived with him for most of that time, but his emotions were out of control at times, and he became abusive. She eventually had to leave. They eventually divorced.

He had not been able to work for many years, had significant body edema due to drugs used to conteract the swelling of the brain. He still lived in his home, and as far as we knew, was ambulatory and relatively speaking, independent. His mother had also moved in with him, and a son. So he was well cared for in the respects where he could not function any longer [he was restricted from driving for instance].

The death was unexpected. We just got the call an hour ago. I assume he died in his sleep, but don't know for sure. He died lonely I suppose, as do most Jw's who are housebound and not much good to the sales team any more. As for our relationship, I never got a grip on that since I left the cult. He was kind of in - kind of out, I was fully out. He lived with a Jw mom. So I didn't show up more than a couple times at his house in the past few years. The boat rocked too much when I did, and I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable there. I wish now that I had acted on my impulse to stop over and say hello a few weeks back. But I didn't.

The funeral might pose interesting challenges. He was a Jw, but mostly always inactive all his life. Since the onset of his health problems he had not attended any meetings, with the possible exception of Memorial. Most likely his mother will insist on a Jw funeral, or memorial, at the KH. I will go if I can. I am hated with deadly passion there, and have vowed to never set foot in the KH again unless it is for this sort of reason. Might be interesting. His x - my wife's sister - will likely bring her fiance. She was expecting to face DF'ing when she gets married in April, but this will change that somewhat perhaps [though she could not care less one way or the other]. But her presence with her beau could be interesting.

As for me, I will likely buy a new pair of tennis shoes, and a western shirt to wear with my bluejeans. That would have made Randy smile. He would have done the same for me. I shall sit and ignore the sales pitch and recall the good times we had in the woods chasing deer or cutting wood for his fireplace.

RIP old friend.

Jeff

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

RIP

sounds like a plan jeff. Hope all goes well.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Sorry Jeff.

Any time someone dies, especially when it is someone we know, it makes you appreciate how fleeting all of this is.

Enjoy the love and the family and the good things around us whille you can.

All the best,

Alex

• Clam
    Clam

Jeff sorry to hear about your loss buddy. It's good to see you focussing on the good times you had with him and imagining him smiling at your choice of clothes. I can appreciate how tough it's going to be having to go back to the hall, but it's between you and your bro-in-law.

I wish now that I had acted on my impulse to stop over and say hello a few weeks back. But I didn't.

So many people say this kind of stuff after a bereavement, and the guilt this brings can exacerbate the pain. Forget about that and square him up by paying your respects and celebrating his life. Dwelling on the past doesn't change the past.

Take care

Clam

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Such a sad story. My condolences.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Sorry for your loss Jeff.

And your celebration of his life sounds like a great idea.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

My dear Jeff,

As you would know, we are saddened by your loss. What words can express? But our sadness is with you, our dear friend.

Ozzie and Mrs Ozzie

• snowbird
    snowbird

You have my sympathy in the loss of you BIL, Jeff.

JW's are a hot mess!

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover

My condolences...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Sorry for your loss Jeff

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest