Guide to the UK for Americans

by besty 90 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

digderidoo: "The whole concept of Americans speaking American English instead of what you call British English amazes me! Whatever happened to the Queen's English?"

We got rid of the King's/Queen's English in 1776 along with some other British imports, such as tea and redcoats. Since then we've developed many colorful and expressive versions of "English." If the Queen chooses to speak her own brand of English, I have no objection. But I do object if I am expected to use the "Queen's English" as though it were the only "English" worth speaking.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must take the elevator to my apartment, turn on the TV, and enjoy some cookies with coffee before I hit the sack. Ta.

• parakeet
    parakeet

digderidoo: "Whatever happened to the Queen's English?"

Maybe she keeps it in that huge purse she carries around.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Queenie Liz I spoke American!

From around 1600, the English colonization of North America resulted in the creation of a distinct American variety of English. Some English pronunciations and words "froze" when they reached America. In some ways, American English is more like the English of Shakespeare than modern British English is. Some expressions that the British call "Americanisms" are in fact original British expressions that were preserved in the colonies while lost for a time in Britain (for example trash for rubbish, loan as a verb instead of lend, and fall for autumn; another example, frame-up, was re-imported into Britain through Hollywood gangster movies).

• Caedes
    Caedes

Hamillcarr,

Is that the fleet foxes cover? If so what a great album, absolutely lovely.

Good day is another example of a phrase that is much more of a traditional greeting than hello is, still common in australia but fallen out of favour in the UK. Mind you they can't say it properly either!

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Caedes,

Yep, it's my favorite album, too. The cover is borrowed from an ancient Flemish painting and perfectly evokes the album's atmosphere I think.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

That is a great quote Hamilcarr. Friends of mine that have lived in Spain say something similar happened to Spanish on this side of the Atlantic.

BTS

• Caedes
    Caedes

Hamillcar,

I have to admit I saw the album in a shop and bought it purely because I liked the cover and the name. I hadn't heard them at all when I bought it. They are getting a lot of airplay now though, nice album to chill-out to.

Apologies for de-railing the thread.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Yep, it's my favorite album, too

IS that the part where they shout "Bring out yer dead!"

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

In some ways, American English is more like the English of Shakespeare than modern British English is.

They say the same with the way Quebekers pronounce French, which would be close to 16th to 18th century historic language.

• Gordy
    Gordy
    That confused me and I live in England, or is it the United Kingdom, or Britain

confused with new information perhaps?

Going back to what I posted at beginning of this thread. What new information?

I have just had to fill a government form in.

I can't put I was born in England ,

but I have to put down United Kingdom,

under nationality not English, I have to put British.

Otherwise it will get sent back to be correctly filled in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit