Guide to the UK for Americans

by besty 90 Replies latest jw friends

• llbh
    llbh

Hey Kurbethel that is a fab part of London i often go there. Did you go on the Eye?

There is so much to see in small area

David

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Did not go on the Eye, walked under it. Crossed from the Victoria embankment on the footbridge at Charing Cross and walked along, then crossed back over on the bridge where the photo was taken. I know I could have a lot of fun in England, Britain, UK or whatever it is this week.

• wobble
    wobble

Just call it Blighty old chap,and we'll know what yer mean.

By the way the confusion over the still or sparkling water was probably caused by an Aussie or Kiwi barman,(loads of them in London)many yanks can't differenciate just on accent.

Strangely too,I was on a film set some years ago and the American director was amazed at how many Aussies were on set as extras,we all came from Kent. I guess we've been watching too many Aussie soaps on Telly and our accents have all melded!

Any road up,youse all welcome here,come and spend your dollars,we need em!

Love

Wobble

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

The whole concept of Americans speaking American English instead of what you call British English amazes me! Whatever happened to the Queen's English?

Paul

• wobble
    wobble

If one was born here one can still speak like the Queen if one so wishes,clipped or cut-glass English as it is known,but most of us speak with a neutral sounding ,hard to place accent.

The thing that saddens me is the loss of regional accents due to the damn T.V everybody sounds the same in a lot of the U.K and they are following the bad speech of cheap soap operas,....... damn I sound pretentious, pretentious moi?

love

Wobble

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

"If one was born here one can still speak like the Queen if one so wishes,clipped or cut-glass English as it is known,but most of us speak with a neutral sounding ,hard to place accent.

The thing that saddens me is the loss of regional accents due to the damn T.V everybody sounds the same in a lot of the U.K and they are following the bad speech of cheap soap operas,....... damn I sound pretentious, pretentious moi?"

Wobble, I yam from Dudley (or Dudlaiy) so i dow fink yo'm right

Paul

• Clam
    Clam

That's bostin our didgeridoo. Are yow considerably (considerably mind) richer than me?

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

lol....i yam considerabbbllly richer than the lot of yo

oi yam arr

• leavingwt
  • free2think
    free2think

Ewwww thats terrible. My dentist is right across the road from me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit