Guide to the UK for Americans

by besty 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam

If you go to South London , the accent will be mainly cockney or rasta. Here's a simple guide to the difference between the two dialects in a song.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZDPMwrPDM&feature=related

• free2think
    free2think
    If you try to get watah in a pub the tender will ask "spawklin ora stale mate?"

LMAO thats a impersonation IP. I think you could live over here.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

this has turned into a splittingly funny thread

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

pronunciation should be on the curiculum too.

I don't like the way some Americans say Scotland - as in Scatland, like we are covered in poo or something.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Just to clarify things , (or to confuse still more) Besty said

6 of the counties in the province of Ulster are what is known as Northern Ireland, its own country and part of the United Kingdom, part of the British Isles, yet not part of Britain -

Britain is correctly called "The United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", Northern Ireland has a devolved government ,but within the UK

Northern Ireland elects 18 MPs to the House of Commons in London

• besty
    besty

Blues - this thread is written in the true and upright spirit of extreme pedantry, so therefore I must point out that this statement is wrong:

Britain is correctly called "The United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

"Britain" is not strictly called anything else and especially not given a political definition. "Britain" is a purely geographical term describing the main island landmass in the archipelago called the British Isles lying off the coast of Western Europe.

I do accept that your expanded definition of "The United Kingdom" to "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" may have some merit.

The difference between "Britain" as defined above and "Great Britain" is also interesting. The earnest student may go here to learn more.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    I don't like the way some Americans say Scotland - as in Scatland, like we are covered in poo or something.

I hear you slim. I would suggest that the vowel be left out altogether. So a quick clipped Sctland may be less offensive

• llbh
    llbh

Thanks clam that was funny, English is so good even Americans try and and speak it. Of course Canadians are even more cool, they are trilingual, they can speak, English, Canadian and French ( well someone should). We also have the Queen's English and Queens English, see no wonder English is now lingua franca of many nations, it is so versatile.

David

• parakeet
    parakeet

"Is there no sun in this cursed country?" 

" The hospitality in this country is as warm as the weather." " And they call me Barbarian. "

"Azeem" in "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves"
  • Open mind
    Open mind

So Besty, where does the Principality of Sealand fit into your explanation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit