Mormon Might try to converte me! Help!

by FiveShadows 23 Replies latest jw friends

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Why not politely inform them that you aren't interested in any religion at this time?

Exactly! They are breaking employment laws, if they expect you to listen to their cult drivel in order to remain an employee. It's called religious discrimination.

On the other hand, what you're doing reeks of dishonesty. What's your purpose in leading them on? To provide the best home health care as a secular employee,
    or to sabotage beliefs that you admittedly haven't a clue about? Why instigate trouble at a workplace, for any reason?

What's your desired outcome — once you point out the fables and foibles of Mormonism? Do you have something better to offer them instead? Obviously not.

Personally, I'd focus squarely on the responsibilities of the job at hand that I was hired for, and leave religion entirely out of it.

If you have no intention of joining their religion, talk to your employer about this illegal conduct. They have a responsibility to protect your rights. Self-employed?
    Quit this client and find clients who won't preach at you. Home health care is one of the few areas that's booming right now in this down economy.

If their religion is just not for you, state it.

"I was hired to do X, Y, and Z and I intend to do my best in performing those healthcare job duties, regardless of religious affiliation. Please respect that and kindly
    refrain from preaching at me. If you chose to fire me for my beliefs (or lack of beliefs), I will promptly lawyer-up and sue your a$$ into the ground."

Simple. No head games required.

~Sue

• carla
    carla

Why don't you check out some of the ex Mormon boards? see what they have to say. Try the Mormon Curtain, that one looked like it had quite a large group of people and also has general info on what Mormon's believe. (I hope that is the one I am thinking of, my regular computer not working so I am working off memory)

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I may be able to relate - since my aunt (now deceased) was a Mormon, and her daughter is a Mormon.

When I started visiting my aunt, I made it clear that I was no longer a JW, and had no interest in any religion - nor would I discuss religion with anyone. She agreed to that, and we had many many pleasant visits.

Her daughter and son-in-law would go to church on Sunday mornings, and would sometimes get over to my aunt's house before I left to get back home, and we would also visit.

In general Mormons are very nice people. I even visited their new 'temple' that they built locally - at the request of my Aunt - who was proud of it - and what it stood for. I think it is from that visit that they got my name and address - which prompted a couple of Mormons to come knocking on my door many months later. I told them I wasn't interested in discussing religion with them - they asked a couple of questions - but I wouldn't engage in debate with them - so they left.

If it were me - I wouldn't sweat it. I would plainly state that I had no interest in the Mormon religion - or ANY religion - and stay with that. No need to try to debate them - or discredit their beliefs.

Regards,

Jim TX

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

This is "inner circle" stuff...but they have some strange rituals.

You might want to check out this link about some of the naked touching ceremonies they have in the baptism for the dead rituals:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/170556/1/Touchy-Feely-Church-Ritual

Oh, and this is quite a dramatic change from being in a Kingdom Hall. Look at the glamor in their Temples.

....and some really odd things, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7p5silgAfw&feature=related

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

"So I'm supposed to believe Joseph Smith somehow dug up golden tablets in New York City that no one had found yet, he read them with magic spectacles, then when he was done reading the tablets they were brought to heaven?"

That would be my question. Then again the simple response of "I'm not interested in religion right now, I was a Jehovah's Witness and rather hurt by religion. I might be ready in time to think about other religions, but right now I'm not ready. I'll ask you questions if I ever feel I am ready" will probably work better.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

If you want to engage them, then you have to be ready to point out the errors/contradictions.

If you don't, then be polite and tell them that you're not interested in any religion at the moment.

They really are nice people. I had a talk with two of them (an older guy and a kid in his 20's), and after my discussion with them (asking them about proof that the Native Americans are related to the peoples mentioned in the book of Mormon, etc.) they never came back. I don't have much experience dealing with them, but it seems they're not too fond of critical thinking when they can't prove stuff.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I grew up in SLC Utah, surrounded by Mormons. My husband's late Grandpa was in the Quorum of the Twelve. I am directly related to Brigham Young, and my ancestor is the architect of the Salt Lake temple.

Their beliefs are really cooky. So it may be easier to politely tell them you aren't interested. We've heard it enough, should be able to say it too!

I agree that the Mormons are generally nice people. I like their family values, and classes for homemaking, childrearing, etc. They encourage girls to go to college and get degrees. This is usually done while their boyfriends are on their missions. That way they can work and support them after marriage so they can finish their education. The majority of my classmates have gone to college, married as adults, and have good careers.

Much to both of my grandpa's disappointment, I won't even consider Mormonism since we left Dubdom.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Nice chandeliers and mirrors and sort of plush furnishings. I found their baptismal font rather interesting.

It's probably based on 1 Kings 7:25

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

You could just tell them to feck off?

• parakeet
    parakeet

If Qcmbr (a Mormon, as he often points out) still posts here, he'll probably explode if he reads this, but ......

For a well-researched and interesting book about the LDS and the really scary fundamentalist sects (FLDS) that have spun off from it, read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. He's a well-known and respected author who has done his homework about Mormons, their history and their beliefs. Krakauer was the first to bring the name of the now-notorious alleged polygamist and child molester, Warren Jeffs, to the attention of the U.S. public.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit