Mormon Might try to converte me! Help!

by FiveShadows 23 Replies latest jw friends

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Okay here's the deal. I work right now in homehealth. The family is Mormon. She (the mother) has invited me over to her place for dinner on wednesday (two days from now) and invited a few 'missionary's' over to join us, so that I could ask 'my questions' (that I don't have). Quite frankly, i'm against all forms of organized religion. However, I do stay at her house and take care of her child so I can't turn down the offer nor tear them up on their questions, but I definately don't want it to be another 'shepherding call' or some BS that's going to attempt to converte me over to their religion. So should they start pushing that button on me, i have no problem wanting to shut them up regardless of the mother being my Client. Here's the problem: I know nothing about Mormons, but I know a lot about Jws (tehe). I really need some help in askng some hard questions that would stump them like crazy IF they push my 'join our religion' button. i'm not trying to be mean, infact, to the contrary I want to be peaceful. I informed the mother tha tI would arrive with a branch of peace, nor a stick of war. So, I do want to keep it peaceful, but should they push me to the limit, I don't want to have nothing to say. I don't want to be cornered either. Does anyone have any questions about the mormon religion? That is equally comparable to the jehovahs religion ...such as how can Jesus be king in 1914 when in the book of mt 28 he stated 'all power here on heaven and earth has been given to me?' which is pretty self explainatory about being a king. I mean does this make sense? I mean Mormons don't believe that, but the question is pretty solid. And i'm looking for solid questions like that, that would stump them. Make sense?

Fs

p.s. If you're a mormon now, i hold nothing against you, but Just as we don't want jws' trying to converte us, I feel that way towards ALL religion.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Five shadows...here are just a few things to take note of.

Mormons believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers.

I think they believe god lives on Jupiter. Don't JWs teach god lives on Pleides?

They think the mark of Cain is that god turned them black.

Anyway, here's some info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0d1HbItOo&feature=related

I have known some Mormons and they were very nice people. I have known some JWs and they were nice, too.

But personally, I think if you ask questions about religion, "challenging" or not, it shows you have some interest and might be a potential convert. I think JWs would take it the same way.

I would change the subject, if possible.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Ask them about the genetic evidence linking the Native Americans most closely with Asians and NOT with Jews.

Also ask them where ANY archeological evidence of the tales of the Book of Mormon are...

• dogon
    dogon

Tell them that if they can not show you the golden tablets and special rocks in the hat that lets you read the writing, you will not give them a dime. Also you want your Jesus jammies or its all off.

• poppers
    poppers

Why not politely inform them that you aren't interested in any religion at this time?

• thebigdebate
    thebigdebate

Same scam different Founder !!!

thebigdebate

• parakeet
    parakeet

Try this. It's worked for me with my dub family over the years -- simply refuse to talk about it. Just say that religion is a very personal subject for you, and that you never discuss your beliefs with anyone. Be sure to thank them for their understanding and kindness in respecting your feelings. Unless they're rabid about converting others, that should shut them up. If they rudely persist, tell them they may discuss their religion among themselves, if they wish, but you would rather not be a part of the discussion.

The idea is not to engage with them right from the start. Then they'll have nothing they can batter you over the head with. Good luck.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Mormons believe that Jesus and Satan are brother

Only in the sense that we are all children of God, Jesus being the firstborn. Satan just never made it to earth and received a physical body.

I think they believe god lives on Jupiter. Don't JWs teach god lives on Pleides?

Wrong. That will just give their missionaries something to laugh at.

They think the mark of Cain is that god turned them black.

Like a lot of American Christian churches 100 years ago, previously it was taught that African Americans carried the mark of Cain. That is no longer the case.

I've attended many mormon meetings and have many mormon friends. Just have a friendly dinner and be direct but polite. If they ask you if you would like to know more about the mormon church, just say, maybe....but you would like to do the research yourself. Just be firm....most of the ones I know aren't pushy. Again, ask any questions you might have, but let them know you'll do the investigating on your own. I agree with POPPERS -" inform them that you aren't interested in any religion at this time"

One more thought ... a good weasel out line is: "I'm not prepared to make any appointments now or in the near future" (in other words, don't contact me, I'll contact you)

• jgnat
    jgnat

However, I do stay at her house and take care of her child so I can't turn down the offer

Why, yes you can. It's called saying, "No thank you. I am allergic to missionaries with my peas. It gives me indigestion." Or something similar. How does employment in their home in any way obligate you to convert to their religion, or accept all their requests for greater intimacy, or to be an object of their missionary efforts?

I definately don't want it to be another 'shepherding call' or some BS that's going to attempt to converte me over to their religion.

I never give a strange JW my phone number on first meeting. I try and apply the same behavior I would with any new relationship. Just because they may be pushy or have an agenda doesn't mean you have to cave to it.

I really need some help in askng some hard questions that would stump them like crazy.

To be forewarned is to be forearmed. You know your bible. If you hear something that you know is way off, call them on it. You will hear some trigger words from your own background. For instance, they may suggest an obligation to obey God's will or to follow the bible. If you have worked through your own "deprogramming" you should have answers for that. You can bring up that you follow your own conscience.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon316.htm

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

Thank you for the informative comments. I was hoping a little more on their specific beliefs and the contradictory factors. The video definately helped. It is true that I don't need to go along because my client is a mormon. I totally agree. I just don't want this dinner to turn ugly! At which point I want inform them that as a last resort. I don't in anyway want to turn this into a heated debate, but in the same aspect I'm not going to get my 'will broken' I don't know what is going to happen, although I feel it's the bad version than the good. Well see. No exmormons here? =( thats okay

Fs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit