Surviving the Economic Depression

by metatron 32 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

First, let's clear something up: for many people, it's no longer a question of recession - the Depression is here and may last for many years!

This could be true if you live in many parts of Europe, or Africa or ...... Michigan! Let the 'experts' quibble over definitions, to me jobless rates of 15 to 20 % with little hope of change signals a depression where you live.

Some suggestions:

Own some gold. I am not a 'goldbug' but worldwide currency debauchery looks extemely likely now. The only question is whether the inflation that this would normally engender is going to be overcome by deflationary trends (like joblosses, debt defaults and bankruptcies)

Cut your cable TV and phone expenses with broadband internet. Get rid of your phone line and get VOIP instead (MagicJack is dirt cheap). You can watch just about any TV show you want thru internet sites.

Become a nurse. What common job is likely to become a bottomless pit of demand in a dying economy? Nursing! When hospitals are so desperate that they run billboard ads on US highways - even in depressed areas - you will have job security.

Get a chest freezer and keep it outdoors, especially in cold climates. Keep it stocked with marked down bargains. By the way, the manufacturer didn't recommend putting it outside to save electricity. "It might shorten compressor life" - that was 15 years ago!

Stay abreast of discoveries in medicine. Is it possible that zinc supplements or Vitamin K2 or pomegranate juice can actually open clogged arteries?It seems so... Resveratrol may extend life and prevent Alzheimers. Remember that whatever makes money for drug companies will receive lots of attention and advertising while profitless treatments - that can be equally effective - will be buried in near obscurity. Cognitive therapy can be just as effective for depression in some people as drugs.

If you are allowed to choose an electrical supplier for your home (depends on your local utility) try going with a nonprofit collective at market rates.

metatron (more as I think of 'em)

• Outaservice
  • Gregor
    Gregor

Switch all your lighting to compact flourescents.

At the supermarket, check the meat section for the marked down cuts. The older steaks are better anyway.

Make fresh coffee every other day. Save the grounds and brew them again the next day. Same with tea bags.

If you have children, give then a quarter to skip dinner, then charge them a quarter for breakfast.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Cut the kids milk in half with water.

Save when you buy beer by the case instead of six packs.

If you smoke, save your butts and strip them for roll your owns.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    If you have children, give then a quarter to skip dinner, then charge them a quarter for breakfast.

Child Abuse agencies will be after you for that one, better not!!!!

I am on my kids about wasting water, leaving the water in the kitchen sink just run and fun,

My daughter takes 30 minute showers and I keep on her for that, and using too much of cleaning products, the more you use the more you need to rinse!!!!

And not rinsing clothes twice, she does that too!!!!

I am not cutting back on TP though.

purps

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

very practical advice gregor

I've heard that portion sizes are huge in the usa. I wonder if the day will come when one meal will count for 2.

• shamus100
    shamus100

LOL Gregor.

To add:

Bathe every third day. Don't wash your clothes.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Turn off your heat at night and share your bed with homeless people to warm you up.

Turn off your engine when going down hills.

Save the expense of going out to dinner by ordering your drinks first and requesting the bread and butter be delivered early while you look over the menu. Then say you changed your mind and you won't be ordering food. Fill up on as much free bread and butter as you can.

When you're at dinner parties, ask for doggie bags.

Bring soap to work and bathe in the sink.

If you smoke, save your butts and strip them for roll your owns.

Incidentally, the tobacco companies apparently collect stale cigs and reuse them when making new ones. Also they allegedly collect crumbs that fall on the floor, and use it to fill cigs.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Rule #1: Don't get "Down Sized"

Rule #2: Just happen to work in a field that is not affected

Rule #3: Just happen to work in a field that is benefitting from the Economic Depression (Are we technically in a Depression now??? )

If you follow just ONE of these rules you will be just fine.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

One of the biggest things with food is avoiding processed, pre-packaged foods.

A bag of potato chips costs as much or more than a bag of potatoes and a bag of potatoes goes a long way.

We don't need as much animal protein as we are led to believe.

A few ounces a day, even for children is plenty, and cutting down on dairy and meat is one way to cut costs.

There was a great book published in the '70s that is still relevant today..."Diet for a Small Planet" by Francis Moore Lappe is a useful resource for families that are trying to "make it."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit