I'm Perfect, You're Doomed: Tales from a Jehovah's Witness Upbringing --- (new book)

by inkling 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inkling
    inkling

Hey look, it's a new JW memoir... and this one is funny!

Will be released March 3, 2009.
    Preorder from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Im-Perfect-Youre-Doomed-Upbringing/dp/1416556842

[inkling]

—————————————

PRAISE FOR 'YOU'RE DOOMED':

“Best book by an ex-Jehovah's Witness from Pawtucket I have ever read. Very funny. Very, very funny. Very, very, very funny."
    —Janeane Garofalo

"Miraculous… hilarious… Simultaneously affectionate and aware, Kyria recounts a childhood and young womanhood that at once seems completely universal and breathtakingly bizarre."
    —Adam Felber, panelist on NPR’s Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me and author of Schrödinger's Ball

"Kyria Abrahams can do the 'coming-of-age in a sea of eternal hellfire' story like nobody else. Her tale of an adolescence in the ranks of the Jehovah's Witnesses is irresistible, thanks to her hilarious, sweet, and knowing narrator.”
    —Bob Powers, author of Happy Cruelty Day and You Are A Miserable Excuse For A Hero.

“Kyria had to go through a lot, but no matter how many obstacles were put up, she kicked her way through the road blocks – and that's bad ass.”
    —Sage Francis, Epitaph Records hip-hop recording artist

—————————————

ABOUT THE BOOK:

In the bestselling tradition of Running With Scissors and A Girl Named Zippy, a young comedian shares the raucously funny, deeply unsettling story of a girlhood and young womanhood spent in the expectation of the Apocalypse.

I'm Perfect, You're Doomed is the story of Kyria Abrahams' coming of age as a Jehovah's Witness—a doorbell-ringing, Watchtower-reading "Pioneer of the Lord." Her childhood was haunted by the knowledge that her neighbors and schoolmates were doomed to die in an imminent fiery catastrophe; that Smurfs were evil; that just about anything you could buy at a yard sale was infested by demons; and that Ouija boards—even if they were manufactured by Parker Brothers—were portals to hell.

When Abrahams turned eighteen, things got even stranger. That's when she found herself married to a man she didn't love, with adultery her only way out. "Disfellowshipped" and exiled from the only world she'd ever known, Abrahams realized that the only people who could save her were the very sinners she had prayed would be smitten by God's wrath.

Written with scorching wit and deep compassion, I'm Perfect, You're Doomed manages to be hilarious about the ironic absurdity of growing up believing that nothing matters because everything's about to be destroyed.

----------------

• Clam
    Clam

Wow. Looks good.

"the ironic absurdity of growing up believing that nothing matters because everything's about to be destroyed."

Aint it just?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Very funny. Very, very funny. Very, very, very funny (editorial review).

Without reading, I guess that's the kind of therapeutic books we need to heal our JW past. I think I'm gonna preorder.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Wow, from Janene Garafolo. She's like my favorite female comedian.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Look at the front cover on the Book..LOL!!......That`s Just Crazy!!..I love it!!..................

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Twitch
    Twitch

There's a Facebook group by the same name

FYI

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

She's in our meetup...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Looks great!

I hope she sells a million of 'em. Even some die hard Jw's might read a funny and witty tale about the Jw's.

Jeff

• inkling
    inkling
    Look at the front cover on the Book

Ha- yeah I know, perfect right?

• Dagney
    Dagney

Boy, can't wait!

That picture says it all. You can't truly understand unless you've lived it. {{shiver}}

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit