MY DAD WANTS TO STUDY WITH THE KIDS

by thebigdebate 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

with all good intentions your dad will use every opportunity to build up a love for Jehovah. That is not hard to do if he uses every good thing from life and nature to attribute it to Jehovah. This may not be something you want to see happen.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

As a parent, your #1 priority is protecting your children at all costs. If that means some discomfort for you, then you just gotta suck it up.

If you let him, and even if your father doesn't succeed in getting them to commit to the cult, it could still be damaging to your own relationship with your children. The very fact that he is teaching them rather than you is saying that he must be smarter than you or something.

• DoubleVision
    DoubleVision

And adding to what quietlyleaving said, that will lead to your children doing what the WTBS sayes and that includes not taking BLOOD!

You'r say may not matter if you'r children (God forbid) ever need blood. Could you really take that chance?

DV

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

The very fact that he is teaching them rather than you is saying that he must be smarter than you or something.

I agree with that !!

elder-schmelder

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Do NOT under any circumstances relinquish the teaching of your children on ANY SUBJECT to your parents no matter HOW good intentioned they are!! DONT DO IT!! It might seem like the easy way out for you but those impressionable young people will not want to disappoint grandpa and will do what HE tells them to do because YOU arent saying no to it! My mother in law allowed her youngest daughter to go to meetings with her JW elder husband even after she herself DAd to "keep the peace" with her husband. What can it hurt? She said... Well now that daughter is BAPTIZED, sneaking off to meetings with the HUSBAND and refuses to go to any other church with her mother or do any holidays because she doesnt want to disappoint her Step father!

You CANNOT unring that bell my friend. Just tell him that teaching your children on ANYTHING religion or not is YOUR responsibility and that you would rather not start that precedent.

Plleeeeeeeeease dont let him do this.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

I was raised by a non-practicing witness father and a non-practicing Catholic mother. They allowed me to make my own my mind up about God and how I wanted to worship him. My mother's side of the family lived far away and were seen infrequently. On the other hand, I was in constant contact with my father's side of the family. I studied the "Truth" book with my Aunt. I believed what was being taught. I had no one telling me or showing me that it was wrong. So, I became a witness.

You need to tell your father NO. As has been said many times here already, it is your responsibility to teach your children and especially to protect them from this religion. You have to put your children's welfare above everything. Your father will always try to "inculcate" JW teachings into your children whenever and where ever he can. Because of that, you need to take proactive steps to show them that the teachings are wrong.Otherwise they may follow the same path I did.

You need to protect them no matter what cost to you.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't see any reason you need to enter a dialogue about it at all. By even asking to study with them, he has violated a boundary.

"Dad, this is something I don't care to discuss with you."

Repeat like a broken record as necessary. No need to change the words, just keep repeating the same sentence.

No need to discuss anything religious with him at all, to give him fodder for dfing or whatever. Just no discussion. Period.

• blondie
    blondie

non-jw father here and vacillating jw mother........my sibling and I ended up jws. Don't let him study with them...tell him that is your responsibility to educate them about God and the Bible and you are taking care of it your way. Rebel8 is right about not discussing it over and over and just using the same words.

Blondie

• Earnest
    Earnest

Same position as Blondie. Maternal grandmother (JW) assured my father she would just teach us the bible. By the time he realised we would rather die than have a blood transfusion it was too late.

• sspo
    sspo

You realize that the religion is a cult, why would you want to take a chance and expose your kids to it?

We all fell for it in the past and beleived it for decades, it could happen to your kids.

Be wise and tell your father kindly to get lost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit