Is it naive to believe that you will always be faithful to your partner?

by nicolaou 37 Replies latest social relationships

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

Of course you are able to be faithful. But you have to learn to control the circumstances. I mean usually cheating is many wrong decisions leading to that fatal decision. Don't be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't be flirtatious if you are already in a serious relationship. That kind of thing. Fidelity is a willed action. You can accomplish it but you must never think you are beyond temptation because you are so "saintly or good" that you would never do such a thing. That`s just commiting the the ultimate sin of thinking you are more righteous than someone else.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Naive? Heck no. Against popular opinion? Heck ya. Popular opinion says you have no great control over your penis/vagina or your brain when confronted with temptation because heck, you are basically just an animal right? Or your spouse isn't filling your 'emotional needs/physical needs" what I find hilarious about that approach is the person who uses that excuse to cheat..basically says, hey my own word is $hit, because I sure as heck didn't live up to what I promised..yet blames the other person for them doing it!

Btw, Undercover.. I just gotta say...that story sounds very fishy to me...the wife had 'suspicions' about her husband being untrustworthy....she accused him..elders, yuck, all that... then he becomes "friends" with a woman and happens to accidently pork her because well, his wife drove him to it? LMAO , did it ever occur to you that perhaps she had real good reason, even if she couldn't put her finger on it...not to trust him? Oh wait, she drove him to it, I forgot. *rolling eyes*

It's not that hard to get out of a marriage/relationship if it's not working and can't be fixed. To be unfaithful says alot more about the cheater's character as a human being than of the relationship itself.

• Questions1
    Questions1

At any moment humans are capable of anything.

You go in with intentions not to, but things happen...it's human.

The key is to understand people do things that don't make sense, and be prepared to work in the marriage no matter what happens.

Also, enjoy the relationship today, worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

• anewme
    anewme

People will spend thousands on their homes and cars and vacations and dining out but spend precious little to save their marriages

Spending for a little therapy, some insight, some counselling, would help to save quite a few relationships.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I think it depends on the person. Sometimes people can deceive themselves into believing it, especially when the relationship is new. But I also think it's possible for a person to know themselves well enough to know for a certainty that they would never cheat.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I guess my question is, can it happen to anyone? Is everyone capable of infidelity?

You really ask a complex question. I believe that everyone should go into a faithful relationship with the intent to always always be faithful and with the belief that they can indeed avoid temptation. It can and has been done. Without that committment, it is easier to set oneself up to fail.

But, is everyone capable of infidelity? Certainly, those that are still having any kind of sex with their mate are capable of having sex with someone else. Circumstances could change radically for the most faithful of people. But since those circumstances are not likely to someone who is fully committed, Why Focus on the Possible Failure?

If an intelligent person who does what he wants to in life, can be converted to a mind-controlled drone for the WT collective, letting them decide how to think, then anything can happen to change a person. A spouse can medically/mentally no longer desire sex, and the faithful mate can discover how important it was to their relationship. One mate could come out of the cult and realize they have nothing in common with the spouse who stays in. People can drift apart. Someone from your past can rekindle old feelings.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My word is my bond, even though I don't believe in God or religion anymore.....what is the point of having a relationship if you cant trust each other...we all go thru bad paches.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I do not think it is naive to believe you will always be faithful to your spouse, but you have to back up that belief with consistant hard work.

GoddessRachel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit