Patrick Swayze

by Gregor 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Vinny
    Vinny

This is getting really boring. But the more you type the worse it gets for you Flyinghighnow.

Flyinghighnow said:..." Vinny, I didn't say you are snide. I said you SOUND like JW's who tend to be snide in their feelings towards people, even their own "brothers and sisters", due to their so called superior JW morals and standards. To say you sound like them in their lack of empathy or sympathy is not judging you. It's telling you what you sound like.

**** If a man wants to beat cancer, live until they find cure, fight fight fight this thing, kick its ass etc , then smoking cigarettes just ain't the ticket. THAT is my point. Nothing snide about it. No "superiority complex". Just stating an honest opinion. You for some reason don't like that. Sorry, but it's a public site, opinions are usually a good thing on public sites. I also said numerous positive and sympathetic things about Patrick Swayze and his wife. Did you read those? Yet you try sticking some "JW", "snide", "superiority" tags on me.

Flyinghighnow says:... "Okay, so you'd kick your brother's ass if he smoked and had cancer. But hopefully you'd see the human side of the equation as well."

**** If you tried READING what I wrote, you'd see plenty of that as well. Try taking off those WT blinders and maybe you'll see a more complete picture. Should I post all the nice things I said for you too? By kicking my brothers fanny, if he smoked cigarettes while saying he really wants to live, I meant it in a nice, caring way. He would know that I love him and would give him a hard time for smoking because of this.

Flyinhighynow says:.. "Did I say there is nothing wrong with smoking when you have cancer? No I didn't. You put those words in my mouth.

**** Where did I say this or put those words in your mouth?

This is what I mean, the more you type the worse it gets for you. So then, if you DO see a problem with a man that says over and over again he wants to beat cancer and live until they find a cure, kick its ass etc, but yet is still smoking cigarettes, then guess what? We agree. So I reckon that makes both of us like "snide", "superior" JW's.

How about that!

Flyinghighnow says:.. "I am telling you that none of us, you included, do everything we can to be perfectly healthy and to prevent or fight cancer. Do you avoid everything you know that causes heart disease and cancer? If you're honest, I am betting you would have to say no."

**** WTF.

This has nothing to do with anything I said about Patrick Swayze. What a hoot!

So, according to Flyinghighnow, unless Vinny is living a perfect life, avoiding all possible contaminants and life style decisions that may lead to cancer (and now she throws heart disease in there for good measure I guess... LOL), then Vinny has no right to give opinions that Patrick Swayze's smoking is a bad move if he wants to kick cancer's ass.

Amazing things today from flyinghighnow.

Flyingalittlelower then says:.. "I knew a lady who was 88 years old. Her doctor told her to change her diet radically for health purposes. She told me that she was going to die soon enough anyway, so she might as well enjoy her last years as much as possible. She didn't want to eat rabbit food and unsalted food. I couldn't blame her for feeling the way she did."

**** I have no problems doing just that, if that's what somebody wants to do. Many people live each day this way as well. Live it up, soon we're going to die. Good for them then.

BUT, if you are going to say from the one side of your mouth how much you want to (((LIVE))) until they find a cure, that you will fight the cancer, kick its ass, take treatments of Chemo, make more movies, love your wife etc etc etc; BUT THEN FROM TE OTHER SIDE OF YOUR MOUTH KEEP SMOKING CIGARETTES, then most folks can see a contradiction and problem here.

And THAT is what I brought up. I also said many kind things as well. But for some reason you skipped all that. But Vinny gets tagged the snide, superior JW.

Flyinghigh concludes:.. "Why pick apart what Patrick said? Have you ever been told you have only a short time to live? You don't know what you'd do. You can't know until you're walking that road."

**** Here we go again... According to Flyinghighnow, unless Vinny has been told by the good Doctor that he has a short time to live (in addition to avoiding all lifestyles and contaminants that cause cancer and heart disease) then vinny cannot offer any opinion at all about somebody else in that situation. Okay Flyinghigh, I see your point now. What took me so long! I have been corrected and saved. I have been rightfully (and appreciatively) counseled by Flyinghighnow for making an opinion without having first been told I have a short time to live. And while possibly not doing everything I possibly can to avoid every possible threat/contaminate/lifestyle change to avoid cancer and heart disease. But now, thanks to flyinghigh's good counsel, I know better. Silly me. Vinny

• *summer*
    *summer*

And a couple of days ago, he checked himself into the hospital for observation after contracting pneumonia.

Not much else to say...

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary, I didn't know you had cancer. Patrick said something about the electrical energy we have in our cells being something that should not be possible connecting it the possibility of a soul. Good luck and help to you. I hope you stay in remission.

Me too.....I was supposed to go for my yearly check up in December but they actually had to cancel it, as the weather was too horrific to drive anywhere, so I'm going in February.

I'm not surprised that he's been admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. He's had heavy doses of chemo which of course, destroys your immune system and makes you suseptible to other infections. I'd be surprised if he actually survived the pneumonia.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

>>>>>So, according to Flyinghighnow, unless Vinny is living a perfect life, avoiding all possible contaminants and life style decisions that may lead to cancer (and now she throws heart disease in there for good measure I guess... LOL), then Vinny has no right to give opinions that Patrick Swayze's smoking is a bad move if he wants to kick cancer's ass. <<<<<

No, Vinny. You have every right to post your opinions. Your lack of compassion for Patrick is what I am addressing. I'm not just throwing cancer in there, Vinny darling. I'm telling you that if you aren't taking excellent care of your own health, then you are being a hypocrite to be so critical of this dying man. Post away. That's what this board is for. Don't expect everyone to agree with you, though. And I think that's just cute all that typing you did you on my account. I really touched a nerve.

• Vinny
    Vinny

Flyinghigh says:.."No, Vinny. You have every right to post your opinions."

**** Thanks for giving me permission to post my own opinions.

Flyinghigh says:..."Your lack of compassion for Patrick is what I am addressing."

**** I have been quite compassionate towards Patrick and his wife throughout my many comments on this thread. Including in my first comment. Since you seem to forget things quite a bit, I'll post them for you. From my very first post:

"My wife and I watched his interview with Barbara Walters last night. We both felt for them. Is hard to actually imagine what it must be like to go through such a terrible process like that, knowing you are dying.

and:

Still, we admire his courage and honesty. It was a great interview.

Yet, because I mention his smoking cigarettes is a bad move in kicking cancer's ass, Flyinghigh seems to forget where compassion is shown.

And after that first post I said many other compassionate, sympathetic comments. Should I post those as well for you since memory probs seems to be the real issue here?

Why not, is the least I can do for Flyinghownow!

More compassion for Patrick, in print:

"Still, I have real sympathy for Patrick and his wife. I also said I admire his honesty and do feel for them as a couple. How tough it must be to know you are likely going to die soon."

"It must be exceptionally difficult for his wife to see him continuing to smoke today."

"Nevertheless, we feel deeply for them both. They sound like good people. And what's really nice is that they have been married for 33 years now."

**** I sure hope Flyinghigh can read what I wrote this time. Now, if those quotes are lacking in "sympathy/empathy/compassion", or are "snide, JW-like, display superiority complex", "hypocritical" then please let me know so I can get some extra help.

Flyinghigh then says:.."I'm not just throwing cancer in there, Vinny darling. I'm telling you that if you aren't taking excellent care of your own health, then you are being a hypocrite to be so critical of this dying man.

**** I am taking excellent care of my health, do I get a free pass now to make opinions. But this is not what you said. Nice try. Here I'll quote what you actually said for ya again since you seem to like forgetting things.

From Page ONE:

Vinny, unless you and your wife take perfect care of your health and avoid everything you know to cause cancer, then really, do you have room to criticize Swayze or with hold your sympathy? You sound like you are still JWs.

and then on page 2 you said this:

"I am telling you that none of us, you included, do everything we can to be perfectly healthy and to prevent or fight cancer. Do you avoid everything you know that causes heart disease and cancer? If you're honest, I am betting you would have to say no."

Memory refreshed all better?

So then, is Vinny REALLY being a "hypocrite", as you now say, for making a comment about Patrick's claims to want to fight his cancer, kick its ass, be around until they find a cure, make more TV shows etc, all the while he keeps smoking cigarettes?

It sure does not make me or anybody a hypocrite to point this out. I was very nice as well in most of my comments.

Like I said yesterday, the more you say the worse it gets for you on this thing.

Flyinghigh says:..."Post away. That's what this board is for."

* *** Well thanks for your permission again Flyinghigh. That's twice now you've given your blessing to post away. And I have done just that on this thread many times.

Flyinghigh says:....Don't expect everyone to agree with you, though."

**** I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Flyinghigh says:...And I think that's just cute all that typing you did you on my account. I really touched a nerve."

**** Maybe the next time you decide to tag somebody as, "like a JW", "snide", "lacking sympathy", "superior", "lacking empathy", "putting words in your mouth", "lacking compassion", hypocrite" etc; You'll make sure you have some good reasons to throw those tags at them.

Which you have failed to do here.

My wife and I watched the full Barbara Walters interview with Patrick Swayze. We felt their pain, sadness and concerns/worries as well. We also believed him when he stated many times his desire to beat this cancer and kick its ass and perhaps live until a cure was found. But both of us were surprised when he then admitted he was not giving up cigarettes at all.

And pointing that out does not make a person any of those things you've tried to label me as. Sorry.

All the best,

Vinny

• Vinny
    Vinny

My wife just came back from a nice walk with her walking partner friend. Her friend also watched the Patrick Swaayze interview. When she asked her friend if she liked Patrick, she responded "not really". When she asked why not, she said it just troubled her that he thinks angels are with him, that he's getting chemo treatments help, cards etc from fans, says he wants to win this battle, but is still smoking today.

It really bugged her that he would not do that one thing for himself, to help his chances.

Many would agree.

• Scully
    Scully

I personally have a hard time feeling compassion or empathy for smokers who have a terrible illness like cancer, and continue to smoke.

Sure, maybe in the case of someone who knows they are terminal, there's really little point in harping on them to quit. They will quit... unfortunately it will take them dying to do it.

It sounds like Swayze doesn't have a heck of a lot of vices to begin with, and I'm sure that on some level the smoking is part of his coping-with-stress repertoire. Maybe it would help him to fight his cancer if he quit smoking - but maybe the stress of trying to quit smoking will do more harm.

Trying really hard to be non-judgemental regarding smokers here, but with everything we know about the health risks of smoking, I find it reprehensible that they are still on the market, and that governments tax the sale of tobacco to boost their own revenue.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My ex had a great uncle who was a lifelong smoker. He eventually died of emphysema when he was in his eighties. Shortly before he died he asked the doctor if quitting smoking would help. The doctor told him at that point the stress of quitting might kill him faster than the emphysema.

I was just thinking, it wasn't that long ago when smoking was allowed in doctors offices and even hospitals.

W

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

He's dying...you could see it in his eyes. I don't feel he'll last too much beyond 6 months if that. I watched the interview - so he still smokes? Big deal. He's dying and he's got an addiction. It reminds me of people saying that someone shouldn't smoke weed because it's illegal and bad for them while the guy puffing away is dying from lung cancer. I believe people know deep inside how sick they are and by that stage of the game those decisions are theirs.

I heard Swayze say that he wasn't going to spend his days chasing life but instead he was going to live his life. Perhaps he see's chasing life as working on an addiction instead of living for today as best as he can cope, and enjoying that time with less pain and stress than necessary. If that means a cigarette and coffee in the morning, some great conversation with his wife, petting his dog and holding hands with his brother...then that's his power. I only hope that I never have to face those same challenges because I might not be so gracious in my struggle. sammieswife.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, Sammie's wife. Your words are soothing and filled with wisdom and kindness. All of us would be lucky to have a friend like you at such a frightening and painful time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit