Patrick Swayze

by Gregor 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Well I never thought I'd be defending Vinny (LOL!) but I can see his point. It's counter-productive to continue to smoke when you've got cancer. It's true that stopping now might not help but in my experience, when you've got cancer, you do anything and everything that might possibly help your condition.

Still, I think this is awful......I don't wish frigging cancer on my worst enemy and every time I get a pain or an ache, I always wonder if the damn thing has come back.

FlyingHighNow said: I think what he said about electrical energy and the human soul is fascinating. I must research this some more. And what he said about the line from Ghost? The biggest proof to me personally, that there is a creator and life beyond this one is the love we all have for each other. And I do believe you take it with you.

Well said and I agree 100%.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sounds like he just wants to live and enjoy life as normally as possible, until his last day. Of course, the thing about kicking it is bs.

S

• Vinny
    Vinny

Flyinghighnow said:.."Vinny, you sound like a JW in the sense that I heard that kind of snide lack of sympathy coming from JW's all the time.It is a quality I hate to see left over in former JW's."

**** Sounds like I've been judged and labeled by Flyinghighnow. So which sounds more like a JW to you? The person falsely judging and labeling another person as snide and lacking human sympathy here, or the guy that simply thinks quitting cigarettes might be a good move if you really want to "Kick cancers' Ass", and "hope to live until they find a cure"?

Seems pretty simple to me.

Mary says:.."Well I never thought I'd be defending Vinny (LOL!) but I can see his point. It's counter-productive to continue to smoke when you've got cancer. It's true that stopping now might not help but in my experience, when you've got cancer, you do anything and everything that might possibly help your condition."

**** That's my point as well. (You should defend me more often... life is easier for ya this way).

If a person really wants to live, and really want to kick cancer's ass, etc., then filling your lungs with smoke, tar and nicotine throughout the day might not be the best move. That's all I'm saying.

Still, I have real sympathy for Patrick and his wife. I also said I admire his honesty and do feel for them as a couple. How tough it must be to know you are likely going to die soon.

My wife and I were fully in his corner until Barbara asked if he had quit smoking. His answer was NO, which was a real surprise since he had just adamantly stated his intentions to beat this thing many times. But, for me, his reasons given for still smoking were just plain lame.

"Only one battle at a time Barbara."

"I don't smoke in front of children".

"If I knew I could lick this thing I'd quit in a second."

It must be exceptionally difficult for his wife to see him continuing to smoke today. It just can't help in his recovery or hopes of winning this battle, IMO.

Nevertheless, we feel deeply for them both. They sound like good people. And what's really nice is that they have been married for 33 years now.

A Hollywood record almost.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I don't know what his physician has advised him about quitting his addiction. Many doctors simply tell the patient it doesn't matter in some advanced cases so why add the burden of quitting? He will eventually be given drugs that are a lot more poisonous than tobacco just to make him comfortable while in hospice.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Vinny, I didn't say you are snide. I said you SOUND like JW's who tend to be snide in their feelings towards people, even their own "brothers and sisters", due to their so called superior JW morals and standards. To say you sound like them in their lack of empathy or sympathy is not judging you. It's telling you what you sound like.

Okay, so you'd kick your brother's ass if he smoked and had cancer. But hopefully you'd see the human side of the equation as well. Did I say there is nothing wrong with smoking when you have cancer? No I didn't. You put those words in my mouth. I am telling you that none of us, you included, do everything we can to be perfectly healthy and to prevent or fight cancer. Do you avoid everything you know that causes heart disease and cancer? If you're honest, I am betting you would have to say no.

I knew a lady who was 88 years old. Her doctor told her to change her diet radically for health purposes. She told me that she was going to die soon enough anyway, so she might as well enjoy her last years as much as possible. She didn't want to eat rabbit food and unsalted food. I couldn't blame her for feeling the way she did.

Why pick apart what Patrick said? Have you ever been told you have only a short time to live? You don't know what you'd do. You can't know until you're walking that road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZ1YteCv5M

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

"God forbid you'd ever have to walk a mile in his shoes. Then you might know what it's like to sing the blues."

Here is this man who is dying from cancer. This is life and death. All I can feel for him is compassion.

• avishai
    avishai

He reminds me so much of my dad, who died of cancer, it's really hard to watch.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I just heard a few minutres ago that he has been admitted to hospital with pnuemonia.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Well, that's not good news at all.

Avashi, I'm sorry about your dad.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mary, I didn't know you had cancer. Patrick said something about the electrical energy we have in our cells being something that should not be possible connecting it the possibility of a soul. Good luck and help to you. I hope you stay in remission.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit