A former poster on JWD needs some help

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

In an effort to keep things confidential for a friend, but to provide him with assistance if possible from those who can help, I post this thread.

Here is the body of the email that I received today - a follow up from his mention of the same in a phone conversation this weekend. In an effort to stay 'out of the middle of things', I will forward this thread address to him by email, and I have asked him to watch the thread for your suggestions.

Monday, January 05, 2009

Dear Jeff:

In all honesty, I have been having serious Jehovah’s Witness nightmares more
    frequently than ever. I have been seeing the same individuals in my nightmares
    night after night.

I am asking you for a simple request. Can you please post a thread on JWD

or the new Jehovah’s Witness discussion board to see if anyone knows of
    a counselor or therapist who has an expertise on cult counseling?

I am willing to pay for professional help and right now, I am at my wits
    end and really do not know why I have been having these dreams.

Please help.

Your friend,

So, if anyone can make good suggestions as to where this former Jw can look for help in dealing with these nightmares, please do so.

Thank you for so doing.

Jeff

• beksbks
    beksbks

Oh Jeff, I'm so sorry. I have no knowledge of a counselor, but this person should keep talking. To whoever will talk and more importantly listen.

• jamiebowers
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/170041/1/How-to-find-therapist-counseling-that-specialize-in-JWs

someone else on the board is looking for a therapist as well. Here is the thread on it.

purps

edited to add: It is in the private section, hope the link works

• carla
    carla

Ask Lady Lee I'm pretty sure she would know. Or ask Randy at Freeminds.

• purplesofa
  • Sunspot
    Sunspot

Oh...my.

I walked away from the WTS nine years ago and I STILL have dreams about the close friends I no longer see, or finding myself smack dab in the middle of a meeting and wondering just HOW I ever ended up HERE?

Two nights ago, I dreamed of being in the home of a longtime JW friend and chatting as if nothing had ever changed.....and last night I dreamed that two JWs I liked were arguing about WTS teachings and I sat there not saying a word and wondering if I should speak up and give my opinion on what *I* felt.

These always appear very real, and I never seem to behave any differently than what I would if it was really happening. I don't feel threatened or "feel terribly bad" (other than surprise at being IN a Kingdom Hall) by these dreams....and I wake up feeling GREAT that it WAS only a dream!

I begin to feel that when we were SO heavily involved with every aspect of our LIVES being touched and affected by WTS beliefs and the lifestyle, that it will always remain in our minds on some level or another. It IS AND WAS part of us, just as our kindergarten teacher was and our close childhood playmates were.

I suggest that this person might keep constantly assuring himself that the WTS has NO HOLD over him and they can wield NO POWER AT ALL in his life......it will give HIM a feeling of control and power that he may still feel he has given up to them. If he CAN obtain some therapy along this line if he feels he really needs it....more to the better. Whatever helps him to feel more at peace with himself.

hugs,

Annie

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hugs and strength to your friend! I think we all know what this feels like. My personal experience when I had been out for a couple of years were dreams about friends and assemblies, and I would wake up terrified and in a cold sweat! Unpleasant, to say the least, these in fact bordered on night terrors that shook me from sleep.

There has recently been a thread asking for therapists that specialize in ex-JW's, oh I see Purps has already tried to post it but it is in the private section! She posted the link to the list of therapists also.

I must highly recommend reading the Steven Hassan "Combatting Cult Mind Control" if your friend has not already read it. Full of tips to cope and common sense to help us all get through this, and to understand how this all happened and why it won't go away.

Love,
    Baba.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Try this link.....he come highly recommended..

http://knappfamilycounseling.com/index.html

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Shel, that looks like a good one! He even has articles on cult recovery: http://knappfamilycounseling.com/cults.html

and a symptom checklist: http://knappfamilycounseling.com/cultsymptoms.html

Thanks for that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit