A former poster on JWD needs some help

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• belbab
    belbab

Jeff,

The email from your friend seems to indicate that the dreams are nightmares, that is, terrifying.

I too, after close to forty years out of the WT, still have dreams of association with them. However they are not terrifying.

I have a grown son who lives with us, (never a JW), who is diagnosed with schizophrenia which is kept under control with the medication, olanzapine (Zyprexa) and enables him to lead a close to normal life. However he frequently has terrible nightmares. He sleeps at the other end of the house, and wakes my wife and I up with terrible screams of terror quite often. I have learned to jump up and run and turn on the lights and get him to tell me his terror. One time he said a frightening tatooed hulk was standing in his door way. Another time, I went and found the room was empty, I still heard him hollering, and calling his name, asking, where are you? Where are you? He said outside. I said how did you get there? He said he jumped out the window. Luckly, it was open at the time.

I started to do some research on line. I looked up the side effects for olanzapine, sure enough one of the side effects is nightmares. We cut down his meds, which made a great improvement. They are much less frequent now.

Your friend may not be in such a similar state. He may be on some medications, drugs or seditives or even some allergic reactions to certain foods. If he is on any substance then he should do a Google with the name of the substance along with the words "side effects"

I write this, to try and cover all bases. I hope your friend can find an enabling counselor. I hope he keeps trying and not give up. Solutions are out there.

belbab

• Mary
    Mary

This is sad, but not unusual. It's hard to say whether it's just the religion that's responsible for the dreams or what, but I would strongly recommend that this person talk to their family doctor right away and ask to speak to a professional. Lady Lee might be able to help steer them in the right direction.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Hmmm ... I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Some two weeks ago I had a dream where I was at a meeting and one of the elders handed me a talk outline during the WT study. The public talk had been postponed till after the study because the original speaker cancelled. He wanted me to give that talk in less than an hour. Being Mr. Nice Guy, I agreed.

I took the outline and looked it over, seriously thinking about delivering it but only getting nervous because of the time restraint. Then my common sense kicked in and I asked, what am I doing? I don't even believe this BS any more and have been out for 31 years. I woke up from that dream in a cold sweat.

Fact is, perhaps it's based on my real experience of when I had resigned as an elder (not yet as a JW). A couple weeks later and the PO came up to me and asked me to deliver a talk (at that time, public talks were only to be given by elders) I'd already been scheduled to give in neighboring Ames (Iowa). Not quite knowing what to tell him since I was already in the mental process of making my break, I went ahead and gave the talk. It truly was a struggle with my conscience to do it although I don't even remember the topic. That meeting, away from home, was the last one I attended.

Not frequently, but I do have similar dreams with other behavioral problems -- smoking, for one. I find myself deeply inhaling and feeling so good, but guilty. Then I ask myself, why am I risking that addiction again? Then I wake up. It's been nearly 50 years since my last cigarette.

Len

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Important about nightmares: if you are depleted in B complex vitamins, you will have stress related nightmares. Make sure you are talking a B 50 0r B 100 complex once or twice a day. After you have repleted your B stores, it should help at least some.

• oompa
    oompa

also this former jw has some great skills.....holistic counselor......she has incredible positive personality........http://angelawilsonsherrill.com/.......she has helped me a ton......oompa

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Lately, I too have been having dreams about JW's I knew. The dreams aren't particularly unpleasant. But in them I seem to be back in the JW mode as I interact with them, wearing dresses and the like. I am not feeling like a JW in the dreams and the conversation isn't about witness stuff. Just sort of .."hey, how have you been?" type of thing.

I've been curious as to why I am having them now after being out 7 years.

Hopefully, knowing that other ex JW's have them as well will help the person know he is not going crazy or abnormal. Apparently, it's just part of the exiting process for some.

CC

• asilentone
    asilentone

oompa, oh my god, she is so fucking hot!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I have been "out" for 37 years - woo hoo! - I still occasionally have dreams of being in FS or in a WT or TMS meeting and feeling very intimidated. Even though it always ends with me opting for my right to choose, I wake in a cold sweat chuckling at myself, but relieved that I no longer answer to that power. Definitely strange..................

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Is your friend in good health generally and getting a good night's sleep? It is very common for a lack of exercise to manifest itself as insomnia.

Just a nice brisk walk for 30 minutes or so a little while before retiring may be helpful

Personally, I attach no significance to dreams. They can be scary or funny or curious, but they are no portent of things to come or something from "the world beyond."

Take care of your "little animal," (your body) and it will take care of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit