This is why I don't want to be a JW

by TooBad TooSad 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I don't get why I didn't ever think about that when I was a witness. It was everything you dreamed it would be, but you didn't want to dream for too long. People would talk about their dream house, but not about what it was built of. They wouldn't talk about how much time they'd have to spend growing their own food (we have a huge vege garden and spend many hours a week in it, but can still only grow 1/4 of what we eat, because we can't live on the same three vegetables for two months at a time.) They'd talk about how much they're looking forward to travelling the world in the new system, forgetting that everthing that' exciting about travel is going to be destroyed; all of the beautiful old buildings, all of the fascinating cultures based mostly around gods that aren't Jehovah and art that has pagan or demonic influences. All of the mountains have to be flattened to make room, and the deserts have to be irrigated from the lakes and rivers.

The more they think about it the more the have to suspend reality. It's easy enough to do, that is, Jehovah will have just destroyed all evil, so he can do a few miraculous things about diet and sanitation. He can make manna fall from the sky and we can make arrangements for people (women, presumably) to bury their waste outside of the camps. We'll have to go back to living in camps, it's efficient, and it's what the Israelites did. Here's the tickler; the Israelites wandered around in a wasteland, and then turned the whole continent into a wasteland. They didn't create a society of clear-skinned beauties living in rolling green hills with a montanan mountain backdrop under a friendly blue sky. They slept on mud, they wore the same sandals for a third of their lives, they walked two hours for water every day, they quit school at age nine, they lost all their teeth by age 40.

Anytime I describe the witness paradise as my personal hell, I'm not being dramatic.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Many people who are not JW's believe that life does not end with the death of the physical body. And they enjoy their lives and do wonderful things. Most of the beautiful things we see around us are built by people who believe in some sort of resurrection. We can live happy, fulfilling lives today. And we can still believe in life beyond this one.

Additionally, belief that this is all there is can be just as unproductive and dangerous as the JW "put hold on life until the New System" thinking. People sometimes live lives or quiet desperation, depression and even become suicidal and murderous when they give up all hope. Life here on earth can be beautiful, but it can also be painful and frought with tragedy. We somehow have to learn to balance it all and unlike one of my favorite posters, Flipper, hopefully realize that life here on earth is only part of the story that is humankind.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

The story of religion= Carrot hanging from a stick!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

They forego living in the NOW and therefore life passes them by at an alarming rate. They cannot be content with the present, what an unsatisfying life.

AGAIN - I'm so extremely happy & releived to be out of that faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit