This is why I don't want to be a JW

by TooBad TooSad 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

The whole JW mentality of do nothing with this life but door knock and write down not at homes because Jehovah's gonna getcha reminds me of the parable of the talents in which the wicked slave buried his talent for FEAR of the returning master. Even if what they believed about a returning Christ were true, their approach seems like Bunk. No better, no worse than any other religion/cult/militantly narrow-minded and inflexibly ritualistic structure for saving the world.

• VM44
    VM44
    "We don't want to focus on the life that we have now, we have to focus on the life that we will have in the New Order. What we will have in the future is so much better than what we have now."

The same (or similar) was told to all the JWs in the 1930's and '40s who had to listen to "Judge" Rutherford ramble on about "The Theocracy"

What did it get them in the end? Nothing, nothing at all.

What did it get The Watchtwoer? Money, Property, Buildings and Free Labor!

Something is terribly wrong here!

• blondie
    blondie

And in the "new system", jws will be told to sacrifice for the life after the 1,000 year reign.

I remember finding this story online and knew that the lies and unkindness now and the sacrifices would be made by the rank and file not the elders and "those in charge."

THE DIARY OF AN ARMAGEDDON SURVIVOR

http://www.1timothy4-13.com/files/bible/diary.html

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Blondie:

You guys are really keeping me laughing today. That's the funniest thing I've read yet. I'm just sitting hear cackling and just about to fall out of my chair. My husband came in and wanted to know what I was laughing about. I couldn't tell him because he wouldn't understand since he's never been anything close to a JW.

I did email the link to my sister. And I'm going to send a copy to my aunt that is "out".

Thanks for the laugh. That's great. I should have looked for this website years ago. It's so therapeutic.

• White Dove
    White Dove

That's why they are depressed, too. They are unthankful for anything good that happens in this life. They are so negative and ungrateful for the gift of this life.

• cawshun
    cawshun

My daughters' in-laws, a pioneer and elder, spend the majority of their time serving Jehovah in FS, Bible Studies, and everything elders are required to do. They rarely spend time with the grand-kids. They won't enjoy them now so they can enjoy them in the new system. Does that make sense? They always ask me if I'm ready for a Bible study, they will say, don't you want to be with the grand-kids in the new system? I tell them, I like being with them in this system. It just boggles my mind, makes me crazy, I could just scream!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

But then, you can't really go focussing on the paradise. You can't talk about it for too long, because then people get speculative about how it's going to work - who grows big grain harvests? Who transports food? Who keeps the roads and and rail and bridges safe? Or if we all grow everything ourselves, will the climate be the same all over the planet so we all have the same variety of fruits, nuts and vegetables? How many of us even actually like gardening?

Do we get electricity, if so, who builds the plant and keeps it running, and who mines the stuff that builds the plant? Are we sticking with coal and nuclear? If we use solar, where do we get the materials from? What do we do with old batteries? Who controls the water supply? Do we keep building big dams? Do we get flush toilets or do we use latrines? Who cleans them? What with?

Do we wear clothes? Where do we get the materials? Do we have shoes?

If we have a big fall, do our bones break? If so do they heal instantly, or do we not have pain? If we can't feel pain, how do we know our hand that is leaning on the stove is being burned away?

Do we eat meat? What do carnivorous animals eat?

Do we have tv? Or radio? Or books? Scrolls? Who makes the paper? Who grows the fibre? How does it get to me?

Do the many millions of resurrected miscarried or aborted babies get transported to the uteruses of the few faithful sisters who didn't breed before armageddon or do those sisters get to raise children from their own gene supply? Or do we have big baby-growing fields? Who looks after all the other resurrected children - their parents, who have to live like angels so they can't marry? Which parent do they live with - Mum or Dad? What if both parents were so evil they don't get a resurrection - do they go to orphanages? Who runs those?

If my husband or wife remarries after I've died, and they're still raising the kids when I'm resurrected, how often will I get custody?

If I survived Armageddon with property in an old area, do I have to share it with every resurrected person who has lived there in the past so they can keep living their dream, or do they have to go and build a new dream somewhere else? Or does the first person who was ever there get to keep it and manage the rest of us? Do their children get a share of it? Do we have to rebuild the houses every few centuries when the materials fail or do we get magical new materials?

Will I be able to travel around the world? Who would feed me if I wanted to? Would it be worth it, or would everything be the same everywhere? Can I still ski? Who operates the lifts? Can I get my scuba tank refilled somewhere? What do I pay them with if I've been neglecting the vegetable patch because I'm having so much fun on paradise earth?

When we've filled the earth, will those who don't get to have children be okay with that? If we populate other planets, where will we get the resources to transport ourselves out there? Should maybe one or two of us do physics and engineering degrees so that we'll still have the knowledge to make it happen when all of the libraries on the planet have been swallowed up by Jesus' vengeance?

"Don't go speculating about what we don't know about paradise. You'll get a baby lion and two acres of land, just shut up and dream about it, pray a lot and get out in the damn field service and stop whining about how hard life is." That gets to me; the whole reason you're there is for the paradise payoff, but you can't talk about it because there are no answers, and the questions make you think that it might just be completely absurd. But it can't be absurd; you've been looking forward to life in paradise your whole life. Jehovah promised!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It's stuff like that, that makes me think that most JWs don't even believe that. They kind of have a little kindling hope, but they don't like to think it through too much. They're witnesses because of what they'd lose in this life right now if they left. I think that's why the organisation has many many years left in it.

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

Sass,

I loved your post. These are questions that JW's don't think about. They don't really

think about anything. They are in a mind eating cult.

TBTS

• poppers
    poppers

Everyone should print up Sass's post and hand it to any door knockers that come by - great stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit