Witnessing =Dirty Householders/bible studies yuck remember??

by Witness 007 42 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

All of you have brought back a lot of memories. I remember homes very similar to what all of you describe. The trailer parks were some of the worst. I especially remember the strange smells. And I remember all kinds of blankets and slipcovers on couches and chairs. I always wondered what they looked like underneath.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

God,does this bring back memories!..Going with my dad,to his bible study`s..Of course there never was a Bible Study..It was a study of WBT$ Literature,about the Bible..........The houses were frigg`n dirty..We may have as well had the study in a barn..Cow 5.....Moo!!..........................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• White Dove
    White Dove

With just poop and pee, barns would have been cleaner. Those houses had a lot more than just crap on the floors and furniture. I remember those slip covers and thought that it would be easier to keep things clean if they had fewer of them. Silly me, always doing things the hard way! All ya gotta do is when the couch gets dirty, throw a slip cover over it. When that gets dirty, throw another over that one! DUH!

• Confession
    Confession

Man, do I have the stories...

There was a couple in their mid to late fifties who used to occasionally come to the Kingdom Hall. Once, while in a service cargroup, an elder wanted to stop by and see them and asked who'd like to come to the door with him. One brother grumbled that he couldn't because he had "a weak stomach," so I went.

We stepped inside and I was struck by a smell that I will not be successful in describing here. I paid little attention to what was discussed. Instead I attempted to ascertain just what this odor was. True, I did see a couple of cats, but this was not simply an animal smell. I have since referred to it as "Martian Death." "Martian," because as an earthling, I had never smelled anything remotely like it in my time here, and it just did not seem to be something that could be of this planet. And "death" because the smell had such an angry, violent nature that I concluded something (and maybe many, many things) must have died in that house in order to produce this stench.

It was so truly horrific that I determined to close off my nose-breathing, getting air exclusively through my mouth. But I could still feel the warm, hairy funk in my throat. Further, I was so deeply intrigued by this smell, I would feel tempted to sample it again. My inner voice would say, "C'mon. It can't be that bad. Go ahead, take a little sniff." How very wrong I was. Just one, little whiff produced both complete tracheal collapse and cerebral stultification. I saw flashing, yellow lights, while struggling to suck oxygen through the minute crease still open in my air tube. It seemed as if we were in there an hour, but it was probably only about fifteen minutes.

I will never, ever forget it...

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Oh, Confession, you're killing me! It's so good to laugh about these things. Through laughter comes healing.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Yes, I remember those studies and return visits very well. I did have a couple of well-to-do studies that lived in VERY nice homes and it was always a treat to visit them. Probably because we studied for about 20 minutes and the rest of the time was on social issues over gourmet pastries and fresh beverages. But does anyone remember going to into a house that smelled and the horrid scent got trapped in your clothes and hair?! That was the worst.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I went on a study where there were a million cats and kittens. The place was filthy and stunk of stale liquor. I like cats so felt sorry for these poor animals with matted fur and weepy eyes, and let the 'healthier' ones curl up on my lap. Once a little black kitten got himself all comfortable, and to my horror, I noticed he was absolutely crawling with fleas - to see near black fleas on a black kitten - there must have been hundreds. But I was too polite (and sorry for the kitten) to make a scene. My partner and I were scratching for the rest of the morning. The study moved away but I think some in the household became JWs eventually.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

There were quite a few houses that made me afraid of catching TB.

HACK! HACK! Cough... Cooooooooooough!!

When in the houses I would hold my breath and breath as lightly as possible.

There were also a few "Roach" houses. I would reluctantly sit on their nasty furniture and watch roaches scurry around everywhere. Just because someone does not have a lot of money does not mean they cannot clean their house! They need to get off their ass, turn off that damn Wheel of Fortune and do a bit of cleaning!

Ugggg, then there are the "Rotten Grease" houses. They were permeated with the stench of rotten grease. The owners would cook almost everything with grease and never cleaned up a drop of it as it splattered on the walls and behind the range.

• ballistic
    ballistic

This wasn't on the witnessing to be honest, it was one of my customers, but the old fellow gave me a cup of tea in a dirty Pot Noodle carton, and all the fat and curry flavour was floating around on top of the tea, along with globules of milky cream which had turned sour. That went down the drain when he wasn't looking after one polite but somewhat dubious sip.

• watson
    watson

Confession, thank you for that! Especially liked the part where you dared to go ahead and take a sniff, just to test.....LOL.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit