What's "The Perfect Storm" To Become One of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Casper
    Casper

That should be "at the age of 24"... my mistake.

Cas

• gymbob
    gymbob

Good topic.....My wife asked me just today, "why would someone want to join that religion?"

I was a "born-in", but both of my parents had little or no bible knowledge, and were amazed at dubs who could show them from their own bible god's name (Ps. 83:18). Oh wow...what else is there that we didn't know about??

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Being the child of selfish wacky parents one of them being a JW since the time you are born.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I agree with jaguarbass...being raised as a JW softens your resistance to the point that there is no reason not to accept everything you hear. The old adage, "perception is reality" always sticks in my mind when discussing what makes witnesses tick. Even the most intelligent person can fall victim to this when they are fed it from childhood. Mind control is powerful...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Then my husband died, and they swooped in full force with the resurrection hope, with the state of mind I was in, I didn’t have the emotional energy to fend them off any longer. I went along with it, hoping against hope, that the resurrection was a real deal.

This is what has my mother hooked, then with the passing of one of her children, she sunk deeper in. I believe with all my heart this is the only thing that holds her in the organization.

She was totally lost and distraught when she made the decision to become a JW. It's very clear to me now, the farther away from it I am. I understand why she is there, and her need to be there.

They prey on peoples weaknesses. edited to add: maybe weak state is better wording.

They do no appeal to your strengths.

purps

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

There's a Family Guy episode where Meg joins a cult, and the leader asks her "Are you a confused adolescent desperately seeking acceptance from an undifferentiated ego mass that demands conformity?" It was so perfect. I think I was just about the ultimate confused adolescent, lol.

I was definitely "looking for answers that don't really exist". A nervous-Norvis social misfit, no friends, no direction, angry, jealous, incredibly insecure, overly-serious, fearful, paranoid...I don't think I could have been a more perfect cult recruit, and I now wince at how enthusiastically I embraced JWism.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

my mom sucked our family in when I was about 4. She is still in (my dad died faithful as a dub).

My dad was military and gone alot.. mom had two little kids under 4...in alaska... winter time...dark all the time... kingdom hall a block away...special pioneers...adult conversation..

need I say more?

She still uses it as a social crutch in her new town... her hubby now is NOT a dub but lets her do what she wants... he knows its a cult...

Snakes ()

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

For me it was unemployment, depression, toxic relationships, 7 years of being nagged by my JW mother, and a job offer from a JW just when I needed it most. Lack of education was definitely a factor too.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Their own Convention stories tell us what the perfect storm was in some cases.
    Here's what they sound like:

I was unemployed and strung out on pills. I was out of money and out of pills.
    My family would no longer help me as I had stolen from them before.
    I had reached the point where I was ready to commit suicide, but I prayed for
    God's help and lo-and-behold, the JW's rang my bell within hours. Thank
    Jehovah that I reached the end of my rope on a Saturday morning when the
    JW's normally do their canvassing.
  • snowbird
    snowbird

For me, it was all that has been mentioned.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit