What's "The Perfect Storm" To Become One of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

What ingredients go into making someone become a Witness?

• asilentone
    asilentone

one of them is "love bombing"

• minimus
    minimus

Timing is very important. When people are at their lowest, JWism might seem more attractive.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

This is a great idea for a thread and I look forward to reading everybody's responses. This is VERY important to me personally. I want to hear from all of you that became JWs as adults.

• Simon
    Simon

Probably some family loss or tragedy that makes them start looking for answers that don't really exist.

Religion is a pain killer, nothing more ... the opium of the people.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I became a JW as an adult.

I was in a horrible abusive marriage, my childhood was abusive, overwhelmed, depressed about the world's conditions. I was searching for something in my life. I had no family to speak of, my ex-husband chased off any friends that I had. I had abandoned my Catholic upbringing. There was a spark inside me that got lit on hearing The bible had a message of a new kingdom that would bring world peace, and from early childhood, I never wanted to die. I thought I really wanted to live forever and have time to experiance all there is on this planet. Someone came to my house every week which was awesome, I had small children and did not get out much. They were very loving and I was learning something. I doubted but thought I needed to overcome that to be normal and accepted by God, I needed a place in life.

I had never heard ANYWHERE that there was a possiblity of living forever.

I still want to

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I would like to add, it was not until I went to the meetings, without small children as a distraction,

years after first getting baptised, I was DF for nine years,

then I could really listen, and my mindset was in a better place,

it was not until then did I see it for the BS that it was.

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

another thing.

the scripture where it says, something like sighing or moaning and groaning over the detestable things going on.....sorry havent read a bible in long time.

I then got caught up in Jehovah read my heart, and pulled me out of the World.

I became special, something I never was.

shit, i was a mess.

purps

• CHILD
    CHILD

The person studying to become a JW would not know the bible. Any person who is a real bible student would not not fall for WTS lies.

• Casper
    Casper

For me,

It began with the Witnesses stopping by and offering a Bible study, since
    I had no Bible knowledge at all, and had been curious as to what it was all about, I accepted at the age of 27.

My husband and I studied off and on for a couple years, but I just could not commit to it, I had too many questions without solid answers.

Then my husband died, and they swooped in full force with the resurrection hope, with the state of mind I was in, I didn’t have the emotional energy to fend them off any longer. I went along with it, hoping against hope, that the resurrection was a real deal.

I was baptized within the year, and married an MS the following year.

I would say the "Perfect Storm" for me was personal tragedy.

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit