CoCo's Canine Chronicles

by compound complex 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

Mandette:

Consider me an initiate in training!

ajnin:

!reveN hcuot eht ffuts ... ffuts eht hcuot reveN!

loosie:

Dingo-Shepherd mix ...

Thanks!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Intolerable Cruelty.

I graciously returned to play a little ball with Cara Mia. She swirled and cavorted, all this playful good cheer in anticipation of a few full-bodied lunges for an unraveling tennis ball.

Throw.

Pounce.

Retrieve.

Drop at Surrogate Master's feet.

Repeat the odd-dozen times.

Lady from Oz tired of this same old sameness.

Upon her next catch she dropped the ball at the deck's base and nosed it under. No way am I going to crawl under the deck to rescue the mangled, slimy ball and end up in a comparable state. You may think you're pulling a fast one on me, Old Lady, but you've got another thing coming. And that would be a spare ball.

This time, however, it's a golf ball.

Well, Little Miss Smarty, get ready for the all-time fetch of your downward-spiraling canine career. I lobbed the hard-bodied spherical missile into the middle of next year. An astounding forward leap and bolt into the blue, my charge landed squarely in June, grabbed the old ball, and swaggered haughtily back to my now-less-than-commanding presence. I was visibly shaken. Cara Mia gave me that old you-got-it-coming-to-you look, lowered her head, released the ball and nosed it ...

under the deck.

I sure hope I can get these mud stains out of my Levis.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Coco,

You have not stated what the breed this is of this little brat, but guaranteed if it is little its been spoiled.

First doggy rule, you are in charge....No jumping, biting, yapping allowed. If you walk in the door ignore the dog. If they jump, turn away with your arms folded.

Be firm and say sush, shhh, what ever term you want to use. Hold up your hand at the same time and turn away.

Do not respond with positive treats or words under any circumstances.

Loving is reserved for quiet good behaivor, not just immediate good behavior. Do not reward the little monster in your care for anything until it is clear you are in absolute charge.

They are not to sleep with you or allowed to beg under any circumstances.

If you need help, email me.

I have raised two 100 plus pound Dobermans....I know what to do!

Small dogs tend to be much worse than larger dogs because owners consider them babies....But they are no different than the big guys!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dog breeds all over the world are noteworthy because of their differences. Some have upright ears, others have drop ears, and still others have long droopy ears. The variety of canine colors and patterns is amazing as is the disparity in size, body shape, and coat type. A tiny Chihuahua and a giant Newfoundland are both Canis lupus familiaris even though one weighs less than five pounds and the other weighs more than 150 pounds.

Most breeds have been refined over hundreds of years to do a variety of chores from bed-warming, and vermin hunting to sheepherding, water rescue, cart or sled pulling, livestock and property guarding, and game hunting and retrieving. There is a group of dogs that has escaped this modification, a group that has relatives spread throughout the world yet has managed to retain its ancient form by preserving a loose association with man. In some cases, this association is mutually beneficial, in others it simply provides the dog with a steady supply of food.

These are the pariah or aboriginal dogs, canids that are generally undomesticated and therefore wear their survival instincts close to the surface. They tend to be hyper-alert, ready to flee at the slightest hint of danger, real or imagined. They are apt to have protective coloration that allows them to blend into the background and to be adept at hunting small animals. They have upright ears, coats that protect from the elements and the environment without being either excessively long or soft, and well-muscled, agile bodies to aid in hunting and escape.

‘Pariah’ means ‘outcast’ and refers to the habit of these dogs to live at the edges of human settlement. ‘Aborigines’ are the first colonizers of a place; aboriginal dogs traveled with nomadic people until they settled down, then took up residence on the outskirts of those encampments. ‘Feral’ refers to dogs that were domesticated at one time but have been turned out to fend for themselves.

Some of these dogs have been captured and bred to work and live in human households. The Canaan Dog is an example of a primitive dog that lived (and still lives) in concert with desert people but was not bred to a standard or trained to do particular work until the middle of the 20th Century. Today the Canaan Dog has two national clubs in the US to conserve its type and heritage, is exhibited in events sanctioned by the American Kennel Club and the United Kennel Club, and is kept as a pet.

Norma B. Woolf www.canismajor.com/dog/dingo.html

• compound complex
    compound complex

Restrangled:

Thanks, r., for the helpful tips. This lady is definitely a pill, but, then again, I'm a headache. Your points on who's in charge are well taken. Let's see if I can gain some ground here ...

I had initially mentioned that Cara Mia was from Oz, a ref to the Land Down Under. And I believe it was Loosie who asked her breed: Shepherd/Dingo mix (with the emphasis on the latter, fer sure!)

I appreciate your prompt reply and the offer for more help via e-mail.

The best,

CoCo

• restrangled
    restrangled

Coco,...no difference between a Doberman/Rotty/Pitbull ...on and on it goes..... or tiny mutt...the rules/reactions/behaivors are the same.....Bottom line...the human has to be top dog in the pack, and if you don't maintain this status you are going to be taken to the cleaners in no uncertain terms.

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Ok Coco just noticed the breed.

A tough one. You definately have to maintain dominance as the alpha. Walk tall, and tough, ie (firm) in your mind that you are in charge but calm.

The dog has to sit before you feed it, you are first before leaving out the door if you are walking it. (make her sit)...never let her in front of you if walking......they have to stay right by your side. Pull it back if need be. (never let a dog walk in front of you under any circumstances on a leash)

It all sounds very tough but these are basics to maintaining alpha status. Once established you will not have to work so hard to maintain your position.

A dog should never put his mouth on you, jump on you, push. etc.

r.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks again, r.

Yes, a tough one, given, too, the circumstances of her "rearing."

You've given me a great deal to work with and I really appreciate it.

Who knows ... when I grow up I may become a veterinarian! (insert bunny, horse, pig, llama ...)

Gratefully,

CoCo

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

keep up the fine posts, CoCo. Will see you soon on Freeminds!

Randy

• compound complex
    compound complex

DOGpatch:

Woof woof woof! Ruff ruff grrr woof pant pant pant pant ..........

Cara Mia and CoCo say thanks!

!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit