Governing Body's new neuroscience program better than Cambridge University

by Dogpatch 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

And I stoopidly believed that Jesus said "Nobody comes to the Son unless the Father draws him."

The Witchtower by adopting this semi hypnotic technique shows they no longer believe the Holy Spirit has the power to continue enticing new members.

The truth (whatever vintage) is now so transparently not true that they want to rely on cheap gimmicks of body language and NLP to entrap their victims.

In addition to which the WT litterature has already condemned hypnosis and "casting of spells" over a person's mind as DEMONISM. Well we are seeing them in their true colors at last...

HB

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    And I stoopidly believed that Jesus said "Nobody comes to the Son unless the Father draws him."

I drew the sun, so what happens now?

• voltaire
    voltaire

Randy,

I do know Harry Cotton. I'm at work, so I can't go into great detail (and really don't want to explain how I know him for purposes of fading). He's a British brother who now lives in Canada. He is an elder. I really don't think he's representing the society as a branch representative. He gives seminars around the world teaching his method of teaching English as a second language. I see on his website that he's still giving seminars so I doubt he's working at any branch or at Bethel. He's a bit eccentric, but does have degrees in linguistics. He's a bit Noam Chomsky mixed with P.T. Barnum. I like him, even though I really can't stomach the whole Jehovah's-organization-is-the-best-thing-in-the-world spiel,

Voltaire

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

ACCELERATED LANGUAGE PROGRAMS have been going for decades.

Just go buy one at a book shop. They have not invented this. After years of villifying educationalists they are being forced to admit an ouside expert actually KNOWS something.

They are now claiming credit for something they did not invent. Like the new atlas of the Bible Lands. It was released by the US Military Survey made before the Gulf war. But now this is a provision of "The Slave."

Do you find it disturbing that the audience laughs condescendingly at the cute and so unenglish words the speaker says to get a cheap giggle? The WT is patronising and condescending to other cultures than that of America and Western Europe.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

And as for the 2 minutes making them WISER than Socrates!!!!

The victim who suckers it thinks he knows the answers. (which can and do change with the current Witchtower winds.)

Socrates said he was the wisest man in Athens, because he saw that he was the least wise of anybody in the city, and did not know the answers.

I fpeople believe you are from God because you are just talking their language they are either simple or deceived. The Satanists can just go anywhere waving their sign language and thousands will believe Crowley lives again???!!!

This talk is fluffy crap by a big head who loves manipulating his audience with cheap laughs and shallow arguments that prove nothing.

HB

HB

• Quotes
    Quotes

Neuro-Linguistics? Sounds suspiciously close to NLP.

IMO, WTS has as much right to brag about their alleged super-duper success in Neuro-Science as they do about their super-duper advanced research successes in:

• Physics
    • History
    • Management Leadership and Team Motivation
    • Partial Differential Equations
    • Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer
    • Beer Making
    • Speed Reading
    • Marriage Counseling

As always, they are legends in their own minds.

And of course, the reason this super break through in learning languages is NOT on the front page of "Language Teacher Today" magazine is because of Satan right? Not because it is rubbish... no, no, it must be because of Satan.

~Q
  • Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Voltaire says, "He's a bit Noam Chomsky mixed with P.T. Barnum. I like him, even though I really can't stomach the whole Jehovah's-organization-is-the-best-thing-in-the-world spiel" Wow, that's a heady mix! LOL Randy

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I found some about Cotton's techniques:

http://www.cie.ca/whytrain.htm

• voltaire
    voltaire

I'm off work and can now add a few more thoughts about Dr. Cotton (I'm pretty sure he has a Ph.d)

He was a school principal in England. He must have a degree in education from a British university.

He has taught English in Africa, Europe and North America.

Neuro-linguistics isn't as fancy as it sounds. Lots of psychologists study how the brain works and the resulting implications for learning, in this case how to acquire a language.

As Hamsterbait says, Dr. cotton did not invent the methods he teaches at his seminars. He culled such methods from the considerable research others have done in the field. I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with that in and of itself.

The governing body most definitely DID NOT in any way contribute to this research or to the methods for language acquisition promoted by Dr. Cotton. The most credit they deserve is that someone in the organization found out what Dr. Cotton was doing and decided it would help advance the work.

The governing body gets the credit and adulation for any progress attributable to the language acquisition methods because Dr. Cotton is a dyed-in-the-wool witness who wouldn't think of taking any credit for himself. He most assuredly does see God's hand in his work and would naturally give credit to the organization.

His methods are designed to give language learners maximum opportunity to actually use the language, as opposed to sitting and doing grammar exercises or memorizing verb conjugations. He emphasizes the need to get up and move around the classroom, communicating in the language as much as possible.

As for learning more from his methods in 5 days than one could learn at Cambridge in 5 years, there is a grain of truth to that. What he means, but excludes for effect, is that formal linguistic training has traditionally not equipped teachers with practical, effective methods for helping others acquire a foreign language. Linguistics courses are often technical, emphasizing methdods for determing the relationship between languages, language change, computational linguistics, gender roles and language use, etc. Someone with that background would be as prepared to teach a foreign language as an automotive engineer would be to teach driver's ed. It could be done, depending on the automotive engineer, but the background doesn't neccessarily help the instructor as much as the more down-to-earth qualities of patience, driving experience and a willingness to sit in a car with someone who's never driven before. (BTW more linguistics courses are emphasizing ESL and practical classroom experience. I've had two interns from a local university spend half a semester in my ESL classroom over the last three years).

I can't help but add one more thing. I'm aware of Dr. Cotton's methods. I've used them in the past but have found that students prefer more traditional methods. I agree with his approach in theory, but have a hard time overcoming student reluctance to try unorthodox methds.

Voltaire

• yknot
    yknot

alt

vewy vewy intwesting......... on many many levels

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit