The Racist Roots of Georgia's Gun Laws

by Bendrr 58 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, and West Virginia.

Don't Kick My Mother's Wisteria ...

Sylvia

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I sorta have a non scientific measure for racial health in an area... interracial couples. Some suprising places...Atlanta, Memphis, OKC plus the small towns in the region seem to have little racial tension these days and lots of mixed couples.

I worked in a lot of places...seems like folks in NJ really like to use the "n" word and Flint and Detroit white folks do to... often. Even a liberal place like Philly has pretty well defined racial divisions.. a black man in South Philly stands out in an Italian 'hood like a sore thumb.

In the south I noted that the less black folks there are in an area the more white folks dont like em. Central and Eastern Kentucky are pretty much white... and they seem to be scared to death of black folks. In Kansas, you meet black cowboys at rodeos... they are just guys from Kansas, ya know? They dont relate to the urban vibe at all...

Bigots are everplace... and I sorta see why some black folks dont like white folks.

When adults butt out kids find a way to get along.

Jeff

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Many places in the north had "sundown laws", which stated that a black person had to leave town once the sun set.

I lived in Mississippi, and it definitely was racist, however visiting Southern Indiana in the 80's and 90's, I found things that shocked me even more than Mississippi. I saw signs next to the road with black cartoon characters with circles and red lines through them,
    Yeah Indiana had the largest Klan membership at one time.

As for Eastern Kentucky, it is more of a "difference" issue. Most Eastern Kentucky people I know are not truly prejudiced and will treat everyone with kindness, however they don't see black people that often so it is kind of a novelty when they do.

Back in the late 1940's, a black pilot crashed his military plane in Eastern Kentucky and was rescued by the townspeople and taken to the local hospital, he became a quick celebrity there and years later was asked to be the Grand Marshall of the parade.

• Warlock
    Warlock

You guys make me feel like I'm living in the right place.

Crazy California.

Warlock

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well from what I have read, California was very racist at one time too.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Well from what I have read, California was very racist at one time too.

Could be, but generally speaking, people here seem to be more tolerant. You really have to be, because there are people here from all over the world. Warlock

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You are right, as I was talking about the 50's and 60's, not today of course.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I forgot to mention that within Eastern Kentucky there are 2 small black populations, one is in Hazard and the other is in Harlan, the funny thing is that down there the black people talk with the same mountain accent that the white people do, and you can hardly tell it apart.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, and West Virginia.

My question was which states that were not in the rebellion legally had slaves after the Civil War, but I was implying just after the Civil War (1866) when the 13th Amendment was ratified which BANNED Slavery in all states. That was followed by the 14th and 15th amendments which outline that blacks had all the same rights as whites.

Are you still asserting that those 5 states LEGALLY had slaves after the Civil War/13th Amendment? I believe you might be thinking of the Emancipation Proclamation, which was not the law of the land, but merely a pronouncement. The Emancipation Proclamation freed no one. The Civil War was still going on.

Farkel

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I'll give you my own personal take on the race issue since I'm a black man that lives in the Midwest. There is a lot of racism here. Yesterday, I went to visit my white girlfriend at her job in a local department store. Her manager thought I was trying to steal something because according to her, I looked "suspicious".

I don't know what it is that made me look suspicious or like I was going to steal something, but apparently, her boss thought I was "suspicious". What a joke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit