The Racist Roots of Georgia's Gun Laws

by Bendrr 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/racist-roots-of-ga-gun-laws.pdf

"Disarm the Negroes!" is a headline that once was found in the now ultra-liberal and anti-gun Atlanta Journal & Constitution.

Don't think that Georgia and the former Confederate States of America are alone in this.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I lived in NC for a long time. I worked with people from all of the other southern states. Note: I came back to the midwest. The blatant racism was just more than I could take. I'm sure GA is not alone in this.

StAnn

• Mary
    Mary

Um.....this might be a dumb question, but please tell me that this law isn't still in effect.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Michigan recently repealed an arcane "safety inspection" (registration) for handguns. That law came into effect in the 1930's after a black Detroit man repeled KKK folks who came to his home. That handgun law passed in part from heavy sponsership from Klansmen... all to keep blacks disarmed.

Indiana had the largest Klan membership in the whole USA for a long time. The midwest has a more insideous form of racism than what the south is credited with.

Hill

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Wow, GA is full of racist radical rednecks... What a shock! I'll bet this will be front page news!

• avishai
    avishai

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look
    upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

A gold star to whoever knows who said this.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

M. "Skinny" Ghandi for a $1000, Alex

Hill

• avishai
    avishai

HillBilly Wins! Yay!!!!

• StAnn
    StAnn

Hillbilly, I used to live in a town in IN that was the state headquarters for the KKK back in the day. I do know their extremely racist history. However, I've lived all over the USA and I've rarely seen as much "modern" embracing of the KKK and blatant racism as I saw when I lived in the South. For instance, when I lived in NC, my ex-husband (living in OH) remarried. His new wife was a black woman. My wonderful, well-educated, social worker, white colleagues were pitching a fit, telling me that I needed to go to court to ensure our son didn't have overnight visitation with his dad with a black woman in the house, in the same bed, with his father. That kinda stuff made my jaw drop. None of my OH friends or family thought anything of it, that he married an AfAm.

StAnn

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    For instance, when I lived in NC, my ex-husband (living in OH) remarried. His new wife was a black woman. My wonderful, well-educated, social worker, white colleagues were pitching a fit, telling me that I needed to go to court to ensure our son didn't have overnight visitation with his dad with a black woman in the house, in the same bed, with his father. That kinda stuff made my jaw drop. None of my OH friends or family thought anything of it, that he married an AfAm.

I am shocked.... seems I've heard worse about Indians and Mexicans in Colorado.

St Ann... I used to think racism did not exist up north ... after all Ohio and SW Michigan was the gate house for the Underground Railroad. People think its a southern thing, but the south has moved away from insitutional racism at a faster rate than the North has moved away from social racism.

Go down around Mansfeild O and walk down the street with a black man (or vice versa) and see what kind of stares you get.

Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit