Did you always know you might leave?

by jws 41 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

If you grew up a JW, did you always know you weren't going to be one when you grew up? Did you ever have that spark?

I don't think I always knew I wouldn't be one. I grew up thinking I had the "truth". But I would look around at the other gung-ho people and knew I could never be that. It just wasn't me.

I always HATED field service. I would be so embarrassed if somebody from my school ever saw me out and begged my parents to work territories that didn't include my school's territory (which they mostly complied with).

I HATED the ministry school. I didn't want to prepare talks and I was shy and hated getting up in front of crowds. Each time I had to give a talk was a trauma. I hated my parents for making me join.

I never felt up-to-speed on doctrine like my dad. I knew all of the basics. Who couldn't with all those meetings? But the minute distinctions between the modern-day "this" and the modern-day "that" classes? Forget about it.

Meetings, for the most part were super boring too. I'd always bring something to distract me. Paper to doodle on or even a calculator to play with and hope not to get them confiscated. After that, all that was left was daydreaming. "Daydreamer" was always listed on my elementary school report cards. Wonder where that came from?

And I always enjoyed the company of "worldly" friends. I didn't feel like I had to prove anything to any of them or be on best behavior. It was just comfortable.

I never saw myself as into it as these other people. I don't think I ever thought I wouldn't be a JW because I did believe it. I just expected that it'd be something I'd struggle with to be gung ho about. I thought it might come eventually when I was older. It never did. I never had that spark.

To me, it sounds like what gay kids must go through. They know they're not like the people around them. Maybe relationships with the opposite sex just don't spark anything. Maybe they don't even realize what's different at first. Some of them come to realize it. Others just suffer either in the closet or knowing they're different but not why.

I think I was like that. It wasn't for me and I eventually found a way out. I wound up with sloppy meeting attendance and dating a worldly girl. She had me watch a TV show on JWs and I ordered Crisis of Conscience. I ate it right up.

I don't know that it answered unanswered questions that were lingering around. But it did show me what a man-made sham the religion was. It gave me the excuse to reject this religion that I never really embraced to begin with.

What about all of you? If you were born in, did you ever feel the spark? Or did you really feel it? What had to happen to get you out?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yeah ... when they started putting themselves into prophecies I knew my time was short with this so-called religion.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

never dreamed it possible even in my wildest darkest moments

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JWS..I was born in..By the time I was a teenager,I wanted out.....I paid for that decision dearly and have never regretted it..................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• yknot
    yknot

No,

I knew another clampdown would cause 'spiritual depression' but I would simply stop going except assemblies and try to ride it out .....

When the reformers started to be old enough to influence or take over, I was going to save all of you in the great lost sheep rescue roundup.......(yall saved me instead)

I planned my entire life around being a JW, it was the only constant I ever believed in............

I am still shocked sometimes. I catch myself daydreaming of doing FS in distant lands and realize it ain't never gonna happen. I find myself thinking of how to 'improve' and expand things... then I shake my head and wake back-up. I am in uncharted waters.

I am no longer a die-reformist (breaks my heart some too, cuz it was my identity for 25 of my 35 years), I have crossed over, I see that reform isn't going to happen.... just lots of pretty re-arrangements and wrapping paper..... too much money and bubble-world power/influence for most men to walk away from and the Legal Department has become like the computer program that diabolically takes over for survival sake after it is time to abandon the mission killing everyone it was designed to protect.

Better to know the real truth versus the "troof'.

Thank you JWD!

• oompa
    oompa

I can only remember an uncomfortable feeling about it from the first grade onward...so that was age six...and it really got bad at 19...but then dammit i got married and the distractions began....I finally left at forty-five, but i really KNEW i had to leave in 1995 when they took away the old 1914 generation....and i STILL am shocked that i and so many others kept hanging on after that!!!!!!!!.....

I guess family and friends and work and life and so many other things distract you from taking action............oompa

• White Dove
    White Dove

jws,

Me, too. I never really knew but I did envy the non-JWs.

Oh, and I absolutely hated hated hated wearing dresses

I was never straight enough to handle the girly stuff they forced on me...submission under patriarchy and girly clothes.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I left 2 previous times but came back. The third time I realized I needed to make new friends and activities, plus be definitely convinced was was wrong.

Blondie (slow..........)

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

No, the problem was with me obviously. I just had to do more, reach out more to quell my doubts.

Even after I stopped going and moved out of state I would still say something to the effect of 'I'm a Jehovah's Witness, but I don't go to the meetings anymore.' stuck in a pathetic limbo. Took a while to convince myself that I wasn't one at all. I never went back once I left, but it took a *long* time for me to leave mentally. There's still a few things I need to do to deliver the coup de grace so to speak.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Steve Hassan says we have a real self and a cult self. I think our real self is always saying, "Get me outta here!" But our cult self suppresses the poor guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit