Judicial Committee Meetings

by Pathofthorns 45 Replies latest jw friends

• thinker
    thinker

All these facts are interesting. As an elders daughter, and wife, I was quite aware of what the rules were supposed to be. That does not mean that the rule of terror, does not instill horror in your heart. My father told me to refuse to talk to them. By that time I was so scared, I thought they would disfellowship me for refusing. A word of advice. If you are in trouble for anything, do not, I repeat DO NOT, ever put anything in writing and give it to them. It can, and will be used against you. When my ex left me, who as mentioned before was a serious abuser, they asked me to write it down. It took me two weeks to write it, I was in a complete state of hysteria, everytime I sat down to write. Later, they quoted from it twisting it and somehow used it to prove that it was my fault he left me. I even had papers proving he had listed all our belongings and dividing them thing by thing as to what belonged to whom, dated about a month before he left. It was still my fault he left, thus allowing them to kick me out of my home. My father told me not to write anything down, I was too scared not to. In retrospect, my father gave good advice.
    As for the sealed envelope. I happen to know from experience, sometimes even when you are told blatantly that a case is not judicial, sometimes there are more than two elders, and they make the envelope anyway. My ex was an elder for awhile, and saw the sealed file on our "not a comittee case" which three elder attended, two from our congregation and one from another. And the blatant slander that went on in that meeting sent me into a serious two year depression, during which getting out of bed was an accomplishment for me.
    What is written, and what actually takes place is two very different things.
    As for reporting things. I have watched too many times the C.O. walk away. Either he has been lied to by the elders, or he chooses not to look. I don't know which. And it seems like when one does start to get a handle on things it is time for him to move on. The next one, in my experience usually chooses to ignore the previous one's warning.
    Sorry for rambling on. But I have just seen too much to keep my mouth shut.
    Thinkers Wife

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    As for reporting things. I have watched too many times the C.O. walk away. Either he has been lied to by the elders, or he chooses not to look. I don't know which. And it seems like when one does start to get a handle on things it is time for him to move on. The next one, in my experience usually chooses to ignore the previous one's warning.

Excellent comment. Very true, or at least i know it to be true.

Path

• larc
    larc

A scripture you'll never hear an elder quote at a disfellowshipping meeting.

"He who has not sinned caste the first stone."

• Xandit
    Xandit

The never quote it because it's a bogus scripture. Almost any decent translation makes that clear. It always amazes me that's the only thing in the Bible that some people can quote.

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Xandit,

I'm always left a little silent after one of your posts. I refuse to say "Oh yeah.....?" - but must admit, it takes me a moment to come back with a timely comment.

Has it been pointed out to you - yet - that it's a rare sentence of yours which is not totally negative? Are you that negative all the time - or only when trying to upbuild someone's spirituality? Or are you here to tear down only?

waiting

ps - I did read your rare sentence in response to my elder's meeting. Thank you. By the time I posted back, I was fussin' with someone else. I'm sorry I didn't respond to you - I missed an occasion, eh?

• larc
    larc

Xandit,

I found seven versions of the Bible that were translated in the last half of the twentieth century. They all have the same meaning to John 8:7 that I referrred to above. These are:
    1. The Living Bible
    2. The Phillips Modern English Bible
    3. Revised Standard Version
    4. Today's English Version
    5. New International Version
    6. The Jerusalem Bible
    7. The New English Bible

Which new, good version or versions are you referring to that translates this differently?

• Simon
    Simon

hey thinker (thinkers wife?)
    That was what they constantly wanted me to do...it seemed like they could not answer anything or discuss things unless I "wrote things down".
    Du-huh! Do I look stupid (no, don't anser that...no, REALLY...)
    It's so they don't need any witnesses and can do everything in secret I think.

• thinker
    thinker

Simon,
    I think that is probably very true. Just takes longer for some of us to catch on.
    As for John 8:7
    Isn't that why the NWT set those verses apart? Because they didn't match some of the manuscripts, and they felt those verses may be spurious?
    TW

• waiting
    waiting

Hey larc,

Thanks for the scriptural quote basis. I was at work and couldn't find the verse. The best I could come up with was "Oh, yeah?"

I just knew you could handle it. I know that group of Bible verses well, just couldn't find it.

I believe TW is correct in her thinking as to why that scripture is not found in the NWT. However, as almost all here will agree, the NWT is not the ultimate Bible making authority. Good - but so are a lot of others - as you have shown.

Thanks.

waiting

• larc
    larc

Waiting,

Thank you for having confidence in me.

One thing I did was to read the introduction to all of these versions, and it struck me that they all used considerable care, time, effort, and expertise to give a good rendering to the scriptures. I do not have this information at my fingertips, but I have read that although the NWT is one of the first readible Bibles it is not held in high regard by scholars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit