Thought I'd properly introduce myself

by JW Walking Away 63 Replies latest jw friends

• JW Walking Away
    JW Walking Away

I have been lurking on this site for nearly a year now and finally feel comfortable enough to begin posting. So I thought a little introduction would be appropriate. My whole family, except for my two sisters, are JW's. I guess I would be what you consider third generation. My mother was disfellowshipped when I was 4 and my dad just became inactive. Even though my mom was DF the JW's were all I was ever exposed too. Long story short I honestly thought it was the true religion.

At the end of last year I had some experiences that led me to question if I was really in the right place. I can go into detail if anyone asks but for now I'll just leave it at that. Without even really knowing why, I decided I no longer wanted to be a JW. So at the beginning of this year I just left, never stepped foot in a kingdom hall again.

I knew my family would shun me, I had seen it done to my mother and others in the family who were disfellowshipped. All other except my mom caved in and went back. I sent in my DA letter, hand delivered,lol. The elders tried there best to try and get me to talk to them so they could "help" and kept asking for me to reconsider. I refused. They tried coming to my home unannounced and I would not answer for them. They called me on the phone and they would ask questions and I would flat out tell them I was not answering since it was none of their business. They even tried to set up a time for me to come to the hall to talk with them and I said no.

Fortunatly I have my husband who was never a JW and our three young children. I also have my two sisters and their husbands and children, also never JW's. The year was a tough one but I feel I am much stronger now than I ever was. We also found a wonderful church and have made some great friends who have been very supportive and helpful through this whole thing.

Lurking on this board and reading so many other experiences has been very helpful too. I didn't know why I had left at first except that something didn't feel right but by reading all the information on this board and through other research I quickly learned why. I look forward to getting to know all you a little better.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Welcome! Nice to hear you were able to step away relatively unscathed. Stick around.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I think it's time we properly welcomed you, JWWA.

We've all had similar experiences, and I'm glad you're coming to grips with yours.

I'm sorry about the "Quote" features debacle.

Peace to you and yours.

Sylvia

• yknot
    yknot

and

Yknot ............of the not so brave class.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I always say a silent 'Thank God' when I hear such things. I was 2nd Gen. I left after 48 years. I always believed it was the truth too. I talked the talk and walked the walk. Freedom is so much better. I hope you can lay it all to rest in time. It takes time. Peace and Namaste to you and yours. Jeff

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it with us. It encourages me not to give up on helping my extended family get out.

-LWT

• mouthy
    mouthy

A great big WELCOME....So happy you have support .....Great to have you join us.

Have a GREAT & PEACEFUL Christmas. Your kids are going to love it. ((((((((HUGS)))) Mouthy

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Just Walking Away,

Great to have you here. Thanks for posting.

If you don't mind my asking...where do you stand today theologically? Do you have any sort of religious affiliation?

Answer as you feel comfortable.

IH

• sacolton
    sacolton

Welcome!

Has the experience caused you to become an atheist? I'm sure you know that many ex-JWs are completely put off with the whole bible.

Will you be celebrating Christmas this year? This is the first year since 1999 that I'm celebrating the holidays. It's wonderful!

Tell us more about your situation.

Congratulations on your escape!

• still_in74
    still_in74

good for you! you are lucky to have so much family to support you in your new life. Congratulations!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit