Goodbye to JWD ... hello to JWN !

by Simon 179 Replies latest forum announcements

• Gill
    Gill

Hi all.

I'm trying to log in as me, 'Gill' but unfortunately not working.

So just in case I never manage to get back onto JWD or JWN as it is to be know, I just want to say that it's been a pleasure to be on this site and I'll miss you all.

Suddenly I feel quite lost.

As I said, just in case, Goodbye, my friends.

May you keep the wind in your sails, and life and its adventures treat you well.

I hope we all meet again.

Love

Gill

• Gill
    Gill

Wow! I actually show up as me!

• mouthy
    mouthy

It wont let me on...it says my password etc is wrong!!!!! O.K. I knew you wanted to send me to my room.... but I'm gonna miss you all so Gill if I never met you all over there .....Love ya all.

Mouthy/Granny/Grace

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'm glad the site will continue. I've enjoyed the site and now I get to continue to enjoy it. Thanks!

The forum software is my favorite of any I've used. Very well done!

• minimus
    minimus

YAY!!!!!

Now, why can't I log in???

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Looks good and it would be great to have cross browsing as well.

Thanks!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

hmmmmmm..........very interesting!! YEAH SIMON! YOU DA MAN!!!

• Simon
    Simon

To answer some questions people have asked:

Timeframe - I am hoping to have the new site up and functioning by the end of this month.

Layout / identicons etc... - I am planning on making things optional so if you do or don't want to see something you will be able to control it. The 'relative dates' checkbox is an early experiment in that to allow you to chose absolute date/times or relative (i.e. '2 minutes ago') which some people find more useful.

Moderators - existing mods are welcome to carry on (which reminds me, I'll need to code the mod tools eh?!) but the long-term goal is to make the site self-moderating ...

What do I mean by self-moderating?

Well, it's always been the case that the community choses who they respect and also has a group opinion on what is and isn't acceptable. My idea is to allow people to rate other people's comments (and by implication, them) but this would not be in an obvious visible way (i.e. it won't say Mr X said Mr Y sucks). The ratings will be used to calculate a rank that will then dictate how much their ratings are taken into account for other people. This is kind of like how Google PageRank works - if you get linked to by a 'good' site then that is worth more than a regular link.

Ultimately, the forum will act on ratings so if enough people rate a post or topic as bad it may be removed automatically and likewise for people - if enough of their posts are rated bad then the number of posts they can make will be reduced.

Obviously, there will be some tuning and safeguards involved in this to make sure that groups of people cannot manipulate and abuse the system but the idea will be to make things largely self-maintaining with just a few people needed to review how the system is operating and tweak it where necessary.

Everyone will be a mod !

• mouthy
    mouthy

The new site sounds too complicated for me to use ...so I guess I will say goodbye here .Been nice knowing you all. & when my Christmas present gets to its destination please let me know at
    kitzi80!sympatico.ca or http://exjw.weebly.com/

• snowbird
    snowbird

Self-moderating sounds good.

Mouthy talking about leaving for good sounds bad.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit