Australian Premiere of new James Bond movie full of Witnesses and Elders???

by Witness 007 40 Replies latest jw friends

• iceguy
    iceguy

That is exactly right Sweetstuff...but i'm so smitten with you there is nothing I would disagree with that you say.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

When we were at Bethel, one morning at breakfast, GB member, Dan Sydlik, told the Bethel family that if anybody was caught with an "R" rated movie in their room, they would immediately be dismissed from Bethel. Believe me. It didn't matter if it was a National Geographic-type movie with an "R" rating because it showed African natives half nude either. Schindler's List had an "R" rating because of concentration camp scenes of nude people waiting on line for their turn to go into the ovens. Under Bethel rules we could not see that movie and we didn't until after we left Bethel in Jan. 1993. I think we saw the movie about a year later in our home and later, when we were talking to our son, who still was in Bethel, and told him we saw Schindler's List, he thought we had fallen out of the organization. He reminded us that we were not supposed to watch an "R" rated movie. We explained why the movie had that rating due to the nudity hoping to mollify him, but it did no good.

One time while in Bethel, Joe and I saw on TV one of those "Vacation" Chevy Chase movies. (Can't think of the name now.) Anyway, we thought it was so funny that we recommended it to John Strandberg and his wife, Sheri. Soon after, John decided to rent it one Saturday and found out it had an "R" rating and was shocked we had watched it. He hurried back to his apt. and called us to find out how we could recommend the movie to him since we were not permitted to watch "R" rated movies. We were horrified because we had no idea what the rating was because we saw it on a local New York TV station. When we explained, John, who had been at Bethel at that time some thirty years, breathed a sign of relief. This was trauma! If John had reported us, who knows what would have happened. To this day, I still don't know why that movie had an "R" rating.

If WT ruled the world, there would be no such thing as a conscience matter. We would do what we were told, or else!

Barbara

• reniaa
    reniaa

I accept the bethel would be strictor you are there a people appart ones who have made a total commitment to God giving up your lifes, the parallel being the aaronic priesthood from moses days or the oppostles in Nt, I admire anyone who has made that commitment and of all the stories that sadden me the ones that were ex-bethelites that left still sadden me the deepest but I digress.

Things have eased a little on the movie front I think, like a lot of wt warnings the initial worry caused a greater response that eased with time, I'm english and still remember a woman called mary whitehouse self-proclaimed public conscience of the watershed hour rule, anyone else remember her?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

There have been many a movie the Watchtower spoke out against, for instance in the seventies, it was Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing. They also have mentioned Smurfs, Ghostbusters, Video Games,, Nintendo game boys. So they have their lists.

Id say a big percentage of witnesses including elders don't care what the wts says if they want to watch it they will. If they don't go to the movies they get it on DVDs and watch them in the privacy of their homes.

I have seen it with my own two eye. Well four eyes i wear glasses .

Ofc

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This really is a non-issue to me. More and more JW's are showing their true personality
    and ignoring the cult training to avoid such movies. They are learning that they can do
    what they want and not be struck by lightning.

At the same time, cult headquarters has to have a strict standard. If they tell the individual
    JW's that they all have to make a personal decision, they cannot let that be the case at
    MCC (Mind-Control Central).

I have to agree with Reniaa (for the most part).

Now, I wish it were the opposite. I wish people were getting DF'ed for seeing a certain
    type of movie. I wish they would be scared to death of disobeying WTS. If that were the
    case, maybe they would leave WTS. I wish the bookstudy meeting was still in place and
    that the public talk was lengthened instead of shortened. I wish pioneer hours were raised
    and they brought back the mandatory 10-hours-per-month rule for publishers.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I often went to the Drive-in with a car load of Bethel boys to watch Jaun Claude Van Damme in "Hard Target" and "Time Cop" double feature for $12....which were both very violent......we were all "Woooooo" Woooooooooow!" .....but I felt guilty. Violent movies were the norm but one Brother got in trouble when we went to see Die Hard 3...poor guy!.....well he couldn't lie!!!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Renaia is about right on this one, although I admit to not reading every word of this thread.

If all the dubs go to see James Bond, so what? The WT does leave it up to "conscience"..If they said that none of them were allowed to go, we would hammer them for that...They cannot win, and that is their own fault for preaching such moralising rubbish about entertainment.

• boyzone
    boyzone

When our family was part of the Mudgeeraba congregation on the Gold Coast (aus) the elders specifically mentioned from the platform the Harry Potter movies and The Lord of the Rings trilogy as evil and no Jehovahs Witnesses should go to see them. Our family saw them them twice but we had to go out of town and be v e r y careful we weren't spotted. Some who were caught were councilled.

So where's the personal choice there?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

On one thread you are worried about what guns are doing to Americans and over here you are telling us how you are watching shoot em up Bond movies.

How do you feel about all that gun fighting in the movies?

purps

• loosie
    loosie

I LOVE being able to go the video store now and pick up a movie because I like it... not because it is rated pg 13 and not rated R.

I am a big girl now and I can watch rated R movie if I want to. Watching rated r movies doesn't make you want to go out and have wild sex with every drug addict you meet. But the WT said it would make you want to do that. LIARS!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit