What do you think of this-obese win right to 2 airline seats for price of 1

by sir82 109 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

See this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27827328/

Obese have right to two airline seats, one fare

Supreme Court of Canada rules for those ‘functionally disabled by obesity’

What do you think?

Just from a purely selfish standpoint, I would be grateful if the 500 pound passenger next to me were able to occupy 2 seats, rather than being wedged into 1 (and spilling over the sides).

• watson
    watson

I thought they strapped the 500 pounders into the cargo hold. Have things changed? I think the 2 seater ruling is much more humane.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

You know those cages they have at airports to check if your luggage is small enough to carry on? They should have those for passengers too. If you can't fit comfortably in one seat, you're going in the hold.

It's always been the case that fat people don't have to pay for the extra weight they take on board whereas thin people with extra luggage do. That seemed unfair but tolerable. It now seems that they have won the "right" to take up an extra seat for free as well. Oh well. If I'm every flying in Canada, I'll just say I weigh 500 pounds when I'm booking my ticket, that way I'll have a bit of extra space. If I'm challenged at check-in I'll just tell them I had my stomach stapled.

• oompa
    oompa

plus aint it great that two skinny people can share one seat and fly two for the price of one?...............oompa

• minimus
    minimus

That's right! Obese people have rights too! Long live fast food restaurants!

Seriously, if someone is THAT big that they NEED 2 seats for practicality, then they should pay for it! Besides, who do you think really pays for the extra weight?? The ticket payers do. Prices will be incorporated to allow for those "discriminated against".

• undercover
    undercover

Having flown an international flight next to a guy who was obese and spilled into my seat for the entire 9 hour flight... I think I can speak authoritatively on the subject...

Anyone over a certain size should have to pay extra and then not put anyone in the seat next to them. That way fatty gets the room he needs, no one else is subjected to intrusion into their space and the airline gets its money.

I should have gotten a partial refund since I didn't get to use the entire seat that I paid for. I would have moved but the flight was full so I was stuck...literally. That fat fuck had me pinned in my seat. He had to get up so I could get up. It was the most misearable flight I've ever had.

Nothing personal against fat people, but if they're going to impose on my space then either they need to pay for it or I should get recompense for putting up with their fat ass.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

totally unfair on airlines

• minimus
    minimus

"That fat f*ck".....Bad boy. But funny boy.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

This is a case of the government overstepping the bounds of common sense. The airlines get revenue from selling seats. So, if they have to give away extra seats because a person is obese, they are losing money. To compensate, they'll have to raise fares. So, if I am responsible, exercise, watch what I eat so that I can fit into the seat, I get as a reward the opportunity to pay more so that someone who doesn't care about their health can have more room. In the US, a kid can fly for free if under 2 and only if they sit in the parents lap. That's fair because they aren't taking up an extra seat. However, over 2, they have to pay full price. That's fair because they are taking up a seat that the airlines could sell to someone else. How is being obese a disability? Insane. And you Canadians thought Americans legal system is screwy??

• shamus100
    shamus100

What do I think? I think they need to re-enforce the seats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit