Did you ever pray at a meeting after realizing it was not the truth?

by Samuel Thorsen 19 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, I was still an elder. I was plotting my exit which took time. At the very end, I found it difficult to "freely" pray outloud.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Yes. But I think that we have to separate prayer (and a relationship with God) with a religion. In which case, I don't regard myself as a hypocrite.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I prayed at meetings, gave public talks, and various other parts for a few years after I realized it was not the truth.

It was very painful for me to do so, but I did not at the time have the strength to leave. I gained weight, drank heavily, and was very depressed.

Just writing this post brings back so many horrible memories.

But I survived. and the good news is that if I can do it, anyone else can.

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for sharing New York and everybody, I was asked to pray at one of the last meetings I attended ,a book study,(that trash the Revelation book), I have believed all my life that prayers should be sincere,(and I tried never to use "The Script") and therefore this one was not easy.

I can't remember the exact words,but it was along the lines of all who seek the truth may Almighty God help them to find it, I still pray for that today,for myself as much as anybody,but at least that last public prayer came from my heart, but was it heard?

love

Wobble

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was able to pray without mentioning God's name and without saying anything
    too objectionable to me personally. Nobody noticed. Here's an example.

Dear Father in Heaven,
    We approach you now in the name of Jesus.
    We pray for wisdom to know the real truth and
    continue examining things for ourselves and
    guidance to do so.
    We ask that we can be useful to others, giving
    a helping hand where it is needed, a kind word
    when it is helpful. We pray for strength to cope
    with trying circumstances.
    Amen.

They really don't notice that such a prayer is odd.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sure...like some others I was an elder and had to allow some wind down time so as not to have too many questions when I did step down. The best thing about prayers is that they are freely given without script.

One can say things that are basicly true without being specific about wrong teachings

• mavie
    mavie

I stopped attending before I got there. I couldn't live a lie.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Everyday after January 1, 76 was harder and harder for me to go to a meeting.

I knew something was wrong January 1, 76.

It took me till 1983 to quit.

I probablly wasnt sure it was not the troof untill about 85.

So no, I never prayed afer realizin it was not the truth.

But my heart was never in any prayers I said after January 1, 76.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Yup! I remember giving a public talk (one that I had given a bunch of times) not paying attention to what I was saying but rather discounting it all in my mind while speaking.

I actually prayed at a meeting about a month ago. I was practically giggling. My wife who knows my position on this B.S. religion was shaking her head and watching me pray with a shit eatin' grin.

I am sure I was only asked to pray as it would be encouraging to me!- Either that or Holy Spirit directed me.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I still do!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit