#1 reason they go in service...be honest!..........

by oompa 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

ya a beautiful fall day here....trees ablaze with color...and a slight drizzle...me sippin yummy coffee...wife crammin her bookstudy book, then off to meeting and service........god she dresses up a lot!....I fogot how much i did that.....I have about $2000,00 of suits getting dusty in my closet if anybody needs a 42 long btw......so I just asked myself and sooo wanted to ask my wife "why are you REALLY going out in service today?".......and there are many automatic JW answers:

1. jesus said we must go and make disciples, and it is the loving thing to do..........2. because the time is short and have to save as many as possible......3. because we love our neighbors ( but i cant frikin have them over for a grillout!)........

Now these probably would pop out pretty quick from a good jw right? But the thing about these answers is that to make disciples and save people,it requires finding those with "a good heart condition" (mentally ill and desperate).......making return visits......and the ULTIMATE goal....getting a progressive Bible study started leading them to Baptism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now how many dubs do you think are REALLY trying to do this? my wife has not had a study in probalby 25 years....if ever....in our dozen years not once has she even got anyone to a meeting! How many do you know that have ever had a study, much less got anyone baptized? so when I told my wife how i miss going out in service like having a hemroid, she said...."i like being with my friends"

I would make that reply the second half of the real number one........the real number one to me is

#1. If I don't go, I will feel guilty, and have tiny numbers or none on my white peice of paper I turn in every month, plus I like being with my freinds.

ya...the donut shop was the only part I ever looked forward to.................oompa

• Robert7
    Robert7

Exactly. People to for image, and to make their numbers. Even the 'good' ones who went out with us many times took long breaks. There were times when we were out for '2 hours', we'd spend half or even more on break (of course counting all the time)! What a joke.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

No. I think #1 would be "If I don't go out the elders will hound me."

• sacolton
    sacolton

First of all, Jesus said that to his apostles (anointed), so only those of the 144,000 should go out and make disciples. The rest of the flock need to just stay warm and happy on rainy cold days with a hot cup of cocoa with tiny marshmellows on top and a plate of chocolate chip cookies and bundled up on the sofa near a cozy fireplace.

• lnunya
    lnunya

The #1 reason they go in-service is self preservation. They are constantly bombarded with guilt....ie, you will be held accountable for others lives, hence forfeiting your own. Blood guilt is adequate stimulation to save themselves. Because as we all 'know'.....God OWES us life IF we do what the WT says..... It is the JW's way of 'earning salvation', something that incidentally CANNOT be done.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

If you dont go Witnessing you cant get on the bus to Paradise, so....get your boots on.

• oompa
    oompa

very good guys....but do you agree that most dubs would almost freak out if they actually got and had to have a bible study each week? I bet money if my wife found any interest she would WHAM....find a overzealous pioneer to take it.....most dont want to take what little time they have left in a spiritualy infested week...and make the commitment. I would so love to ask those who NEVER have a study...."well geeze after spending the last 10,972 hours shown on your pub record card, and 5,892 gallons gas....it appears you have never had a bible study or make a disciple....could think of a better way to use your time?"..........they really don't mean it!.................oompa

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

"my wife has not had a study in probalby 25 years....if ever....in our dozen years not once has she even got anyone to a meeting! How many do you know that have ever had a study, much less got anyone baptized? "

The last time I had a study with anyone, it was just plain a burden. It was a couple, man and wife. The service overseer told me that I could not study with them because of there being a man. Well, let me tell you, turning it over to a brother was quite unsuccessful. Three different brothers I tried and they at least went once each, two of them more than that, but I ended up back with it.

When I was young, I remember an urgency about the service that I never saw in later years. I remember going out in service back when I was in my late teens and early 20's with a real sense of purpose. Also, there were no breaks taken back then. You got in there and did what you were there to do.

In recent years, service seemed more of a social event to me than anything else. Not to myself, but that seemed to be how others viewed it. There was always a lot of time wasting and aimless meandering. And quitting early. I guess everyone has to make it as painless on themselves as possible.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    Re: #1 reason they go in service...be honest!..........

Breakfast.

And oompa, I agree as that has been their m.o. find a "bible study" and dump it some other shmucks lap.

Dismembered

• Quandry
    Quandry

1. jesus said we must go and make disciples, and it is the loving thing to do..........2. because the time is short and have to save as many as possible......3. because we love our neighbors

Yes, oompa, those were the exact reasons I went out in service. I was sincere. I did not like it, but I was willing to do it because God and Jesus did so much for me. I was sincere in everything I did as a Witness. (Plus always feeling a heaping helping of guilt for not doing more) I;m sure there are many others like me on this forum now.

That's why it was so disillusioning to find out...well...everything we know now. I so wanted it all to be true..I thought I'd be in a paradise by now, sitting by a waterfall, petting a lion, or riding a horse, then having one of those picnics they always show in the publications, with all the baskets of fruit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit