Did the WTS with all it's lies take away your interest in the Bible?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Do you still read or have any interest in the Bible?

I escaped the tower in 83. 1976 bothered me.

When I made up my mind to quit. I decided to read the bible cover to cover.

I did that 5 times. The first time with a comparative translation 4 versions side my side.

After I kept reading the bible and making notes I decided you dont have to twist the scriptures.

They are pretty twisted on their own.

You just have to read them and think about what it says.

And one day you will be free.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I was just reading about cults today and apparently it is a common thread that they keep you so busy that you are robbed of any meaningful spirituality. That was true for me. You are so busy racing around to maintain the schedule there is no time for reflection. After deciding to leave I tried to just read the bible, but it's almost like the scriptures are stained by my JW lifelong mindset. I hope that changes one day.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Much as I tried, I could never at any time understand what all the fuss about the bible was about.
    Certainly, after the bad experience of the Watchtower Madness, I would describe myself as being "Religioned Out."
    However, nothing I have seen in other religions before, during and after my time with the JWs has led me to change my mind about that.

I did used to take the matter seriously, and really wanted it to be "The Truth."
    At one point, I thought that it would all make perfect sense if only a person read the bible intensely.
    (That was easy to do while living by yourself in an 8 ft x 10 ft hut in a construction camp).

But, after having read the bible from cover to cover (like most JWs don't do), I cannot say that I felt in any way enlightened by it.

I often compare myself with friends I had before I became a JW. They do not appear to be in any way disadvantaged for having never opened a bible - and I cannot see any advantage that I gained from having read the thing constantly for so many years.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I have to say that Yes it did. I was even tired of it when I was active in the religion. Some would tell me how they would love to read it just for enjoyment. I thought some of its books were enjoyable to read. I liked the story of Exodus, some Psalms and the books of the New Testament. Proverbs was witty. Some books were just tedious and others were disturbing to my sensibilities.

Maybe here and there I reach for it to look up a particular scripture.

LHG

• snowbird
    snowbird

Just the opposite - The WT and its lies heightened my interest in the Bible.

Sylvia

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

No interest, and do not read, the Bible. Nada. Zip. Zero.

I even wonder why it is that the Bible is supposed to be the only book inspired, and that should be followed.

I scoff at the terms saved, church, Lord and Saviour, sinner....

Thanks WTBS!

• Caedes
    Caedes

No, but it was the bible that finally convinced me there are no gods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit