Tribute to Sarah Palin

by Awakened at Gilead 31 Replies latest social humour

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

$300,000 just to "rent" a dress...am I understanding this correctly?

Eeee gad!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Pop Tarts: Designers Give Thumbs Up to Palin's Pricey Wardrobe

AP
    Designers Weigh In On Palin's Pricey Wardrobe

Just when you thought Gov. Sarah Palin had every stitch of her life unsewn, another hemline came loose last week when it was revealed that the Republicans had spent $150,000 in campaign money on her campaign wardrobe. (Although it was McCain’s adviser who made the purchases, and the cost was apparently unknown to Palin.)

Click here for photos of Sarah Palin's new duds.

But is this just another example of double standards in the media? Nobody bothered to go through thousands of pages of public records to calculate the total figure Hillary Clinton spent on her wardrobe while vying to be the Democratic Presidential candidate. While she has a totally different style to Palin, the 61-year-old reportedly had the majority of her pantsuits tailor-made by L.A. designer Susanna Chung Forest with every jacket costing around $3,000 and pants around $2,000.

Despite the public outcry, several top designers and stylists to the stars have told Tarts there was nothing excessive or inappropriate about the GOP funding the Alaskan governor's $150,000 designer wardrobe, as they say image plays the most critical role in one's success. After all, Hollywood starlets spend far more on a single accessory amid their Oscar season campaigns (or more likely are given it for free and then it is written off in taxes), and they don't have to be in three different states every single day for months on end.

"She is running for vice president, and both the President and vice president of the United States should be iconic. She should be someone we look up to on many levels, and her image is this country’s image," says Stacey Bendet, designer and owner of the world-famous Alice + Olivia. Maternity clothes designer Liz Lange (whose garments are worn by big names like Kelly Ripa, Kate Winslet and Reese Witherspoon) agrees: "She is the center of major media attention and she needs to look the part of a professional while on the campaign trail."

And according to Carmen Electra's personal stylist Amanda Reno, fashion can make or break someone in any field. "It can change the way you feel and act, your mood and the way the world sees you," Reno tells Tarts.

But "Project Runway" sensation Nick Verreos (who has dressed the likes of Heidi Klum, Eva Longoria and Kathy Griffin) disagrees, saying that while Palin's look "exudes confidence and command," her uber-glam garments make her a hypocrite.

"It [the $150,000] would not have been an issue unless she did not portray herself as this 'everyday run-of-the-mill Soccer Mom,' who is just like 'you and me.' It just came off as hypocritical for Palin," he said. "This argument that the RNC just 'gave it to her'; well she could have taken the high road and not accepted."

But wouldn't there be more reason to complain if a woman in such a powerful position was donning the fur-trimmed hoodies and puffy jackets she wears to watch her kids play sports on a Saturday morning?

"Palin's style is clean, classic, and conservative, as I believe it should be," says leading stylist Rebecca Resnick, who works with everyone from Lindsay Lohan and Pete Wentz to Mariska Hagitay and Jamie-Lynn Sigler. "She is very much in the public eye and under constant scrutiny, so the more classic and sophisticated she comes across will only better her in the end."

And who knows, perhaps Palin's shopping spree did something to boost our very unfashionable economy. "Palin's purchases helped those individual stores greatly," agrees Verreos. "Especially in these sour economic times, where every day we learn of more and more retail chains closing. I am sure the sales people and store managers in St. Louis' and New York City's Saks Fifth Avenue, as well as Minneapolis' Macy's and Neiman Marcus were very, very happy".

• Kudra
    Kudra

I really do like SPs wardrobe...

But I like Kate Moss's wardrobe too, so the point is ...beside the point.

SP is evil and dumb as a brick, that's what really matters.

Speaking of BO's hair, has anyone noticed that he suddenly got a lot of gray hairs over the past half-year or so?? -dyed to make him look more presidential?? Or just stress?

-K

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Did anyone actually look at the link I posted before turning this into a nappy headed hate thread?

Should we invite Imus to this discussion?

I think 150k for a few weeks campaign is excessive... Hillary knew she had at least a year of campaigning to get to the nomination... Sara will be in the public eye for less than 2 months, unless she gets elected... well, then no-one would complain if she gets some new duds.. but 150k for a few weeks of clothes?

• yknot
    yknot

Dear Sweet Lance....

American Politics have been for the elite of our nation for many many many years.

Politics is a big business too.

Sarah didn't look the part, thus she was 'spiffed' up a bit.... (I really don't see an improvement that couldn't have been made with a trip to Marshalls & Payless)

To the people who run the DNC and RNC such money is not only well spent but $400 shoes are a bargain.

As a no-count middle classer, yes it is disgusting the amounts of money used to 'polish' a campaign

The issue isn't how much was spent. The issue is that Palin has been preaching about being a "hockey mom" and shopping at thrift shops. I don't know any "hockey moms" who shop at Neiman Marcus and I doubt anyone who shops at Neiman Marcus visits thrift shops. Palin is a fraud; a pathetic caricature, an ugly lop of subhuman gristle who has fought hard to keep beluga whales from being protected and to cause the removal of polar bears from the endangered species list. She is anathema to anyone who cares about this planet and the world would be far better off if she had never been born.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Well, this is one white gal that will not be in line. That man gives me the creeps. He is not to be trusted. He reminds me of the WTS. He is very polished, has a smooth line for everything.

megaflower...I will remember that name.....I get an image of the kind of man you would line up for........I see a hairy, beery, overweight guy in wife-beaters....tatoos.....bad teeth....nose hairs....bad breath.....dirt under the fingernails..........no polish and no smooth lines.........he's all yours, darlin'......................

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    I don't know any "hockey moms" who shop at Neiman Marcus and I doubt anyone who shops at Neiman Marcus visits thrift shops.

I sure don't know how "hockey mom/thrift shopper comes into play. I was a "baseball" mom before I got divorced ...getting my kid his baseball gear was outrageous.

I'm a thrift shopper mom but can't afford to be no "hockey/soccer/baseball" mom anymore...I do good just shopping at thrift shops.

"hockey mom" to me sounds just like that, being a mom who has a spouse/support person to fork over the money in order for them to be that "hockey" mom. Does not impress me.

"hockey" mom = money (imho)

• megaflower
    megaflower

Hey bizzybee-here Iam. Come and get me. Oh, by the way did you get that image of the perfert man by looking at your own life?

I hope you look for me often, hahaha

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

OH yea and that nappy hair too.

Good lord woman! Do ya have to show your a$$ here too?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit