Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up?

by Viviane 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Why do religious people make claims and then refuse to back them up?

I don't know. ;)

I've often wondered why it is those who believe in evolution claim that life started from non-living material but refuse to back that up. It's a mystery to me. They claim something they have no proof of. Unheard of!

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Sorry! I didn't mean to be rational! Where was my brainwashing "training from infancy" when Viviane needed it?!

I was just giving you a hard time :)

• cappytan
    cappytan
    HM-TM: I've often wondered why it is that those who believe in evolution claim that life started from non-living material but refuse to back that up. It's a mystery to me. They claim something they have no proof of. Unheard of!

You're talking about abiogenesis not evolution.

FYI, the current models for abiogenesis are not proven theories (yet). They are hypotheses. Science doesn't claim that the current ideas of abiogenesis are fact. There have been some experiments that show promise that the concept is plausible, but there is not at this time conclusive proof that the hypotheses are theory.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Religious beliefs are formulated mostly upon emotive theory without factual evidence ,

where scientific theory is formulated upon evidential discovery and observation.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Science claims many things it can't prove but when it comes to religion we must prove. Double standard.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Science claims many things it can't prove but when it comes to religion we must prove. Double standard.

Provide an example or two, please.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    I just provided an example on this thread.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Science claims many things it can't prove....

Wrong. Science never claims anything as fact that can't be proven.

For instance, consider the idea of multiple universes. That is not a theory. It's hypothesis. Can't be proven at this time. Not all scientists agree with the idea either. But that doesn't mean that scientists aren't working on it, trying to find evidence to support it.

What Science does is first, identify a problem or question. Next, make a hypothesis, a guess. After that, try to prove the hypothesis through experimentation or observation. Then, analyze the data from the observations or experiments. After that, if the data supported the original hypothesis, you now have a theory.

In the english language, the word theory is bandied around a lot and often used in place of the word hypothesis. However, in Science, nothing can be called a theory until it is PROVEN.

So, in your initial comparison, remember that any time a Scientist claims something as fact he must have evidence to back it up.

Atheists are holding religious claims to the same standard as they hold scientific claims. PROVE IT.

Once a Scientific claim is proven, then it is no longer a claim, it is a theory with documented evidence to back it up.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I just provided an example on this thread.

No.... no you didn't. You confused abiogenesis with evolution, but you didn't provide an example of a double-standard as you claim.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Religious beliefs have been formulated and devised under the known accepted fact of human ignorance which is

evidential.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit