WT backtracking fast on Book Study -High Gas Prices

by stillajwexelder 77 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gayle
    Gayle

Wasn't there a letter scanned on this site of that letter? I thought it said something about due to "gas prices." The WT organization does make flat out statements and then deny it blaming it on the rank & file quite frequently - (remember '75).

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Since the wts supports their authority as coming from God, they can do anything that they want within Bible guidelines as the wts interprets what the Bible means, so a bible verse can support having the books study and that is why a book study existed, when there is another underlying reason to eliminate the book study, it is not hard to find another bible verse to support the new position, if it becomes necessary again to have a book study or to add something or to change something all that has to be done is to go through the bible and use some perceived pattern or believed principle, after all the wts is GOD’S GOVERNMENT. I think that the underlying reason is not to give the jws more time to devote to spiritual pursuits and preparation, I’m sure the majority of jws will still not spend more time reading wts books even with no book study. So, why no book study? I think that there are always 3 underlying reasons behind the wts policies 1 financial 2 legal 3 practical or corporate. The wts religion already determined that it is essential to educate and to provide social, psychological, emotional and spiritual support to its members and that cannot be done by going to church for an hour or so each week. Such support requires the program that the wts dishes out as meetings and as they see fit, they will adjust the program. If it was up to me I would have eliminated the service meeting. The wts always gives spiritual reasons based on the bible for their actions but I think that the underlying reasons I stated are the real reasons behind or in addition to the spiritual reasons they give.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

wow that didn't take long.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I still think it is to lessen their legal risk at having officially sanctioned meetings in private homes.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I wonder if a shortage of elders is a factor?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

A shortage of elders could well be part of it!

I'm thinking about all of those poor bros and sis in divided households who, rather than being able to get out of the house to meet locally with a small group of their friends for study and fellowship (the BSG), now have sit alone of an evening and study WT publications, while the rest of the congregation has their family around them for fellowship and support.

How does that bolster them spiritually?

And what would happen if such ones decided to all meet up together in one of their homes to study and have fellowship (while the rest of the congregation meets within their family groups)? Would the elders start waving the Sept 97 KM in their faces?

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Always the fallout with no accountability for WT reasoning, this time the gas prices statement. Damn it gets old. Why do the rank and file keep putting up with this. I can't believe they are so inept and keep going back for more!

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Again and again high gas prices were mentioned as NOT being the reason.
    :::::::::::::::.

Sounds strange; there was not one single reference to that point in the article, so why should it be mentioned "again and again" in your congregation? here, it was not mentioned at all, as emphasis was on the change of the meeting, NOT on the reasons for changing.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

notice that in order for people to not leave early on the "new" "bible study" night, they placed it first on the hit list

First: Bible brainwashing study.

Second: Theocratic drool meeting

Thrid: Slavery meeting

• shamus100
    shamus100

I'm still totally confused. Did the letter actually say it was because of high gas prices, or was that a local thing in your congregation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit