I need some help & suggestions

by Nosferatu 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

As many of you know, I've got a new job. Quitting my old one is proving to be difficult. I gave my boss two weeks notice. He requested me staying an extra week. I told him I'd talk to my new boss.

Nevertheless, I just want out. I told my new boss about this and he said, "Well, you're all signed up, so there's no turning back now!"

This morning, I sent the following to my boss:

- "I chatted with Ron about delaying my employment for a week. He told me that it would be difficult to alter everything (paperwork etc) on such short notice. Sorry I couldn't get this to work out."

And I got the following response:

- "Nos, I need you to go back and speak with Ron again. I understand the trials and tribulations associated with paperwork but, we really need that extra week to address the succession of your position. After ten [10] years, I don’t think this is too much to ask. We would never have terminated your employment with LV with only a 2-week notice period.

If it would be easier for you, I can contact Ron directly to discuss the extra week. Please let me know how you would like us to proceed."

I hate this place and I just want out. Maybe tell him I got the extra week and don't show up? I dunno. HELP!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Is this new job with the same company? I think you've already given notice of your final separation date and that's it. There should be no back and forth and it's not your responsiliblity to stay an extra week to train anyone.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

It's for a different company.

I was thinking something along the lines of "this repeated asking will not reflect well with my new employer.

I think I'll be digging out the contract I signed with my current company.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think you're right about it may not reflect well with your new employer. Your old boss it trying to exert control over your time that he has no right to. I don't see how his calling your new employer will help you. If I was your new employer I would not appreciate someone calling me to request that someone I just hired and need to start asap stay an additional week just to train someone in that old position.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love this part:

After ten [10] years, I don’t think this is too much to ask. We would never have terminated your employment with LV with only a 2-week notice period.

Can't you just feel the guilt and control? Don't fall for it and stick to your guns. You're out of there on your timeline not his. And please don't let him speak to your new boss.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I can understand the importance of your position where you are presently working.

I worked in a valuable position ONCE-

I told them for two years I was going to quit....When I finally did, We sat down and set a date, two months out.

It still was not enough time for my boss. I had to go anyway.

I think your current boss is wacko to even suggest contacting your future employer to get and extension.

Funny when someone is fired it is always immediately, but two weeks notice is expected when we quit.

purps

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Nos...two weeks notice is more than eough. You work for him..it's not like you are in prison .. walk away like a free man and dont worry about it.

I used to worry about stuff like this too... It occured to me that no one ever gave me notice before a lay-off or before they fired somebody.... two weeks is fair.

~j

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

"There's nothing I can do." In three weeks you won't care anymore.

• megs
    megs

Your employer is using unethical emotional blackmail to meet his own ends. After TEN YEARS he should be thanking you for EVERYTHING you have done, not trying to bleed you dry. This is business, not personal, do not allow him to exert that kind of control over you.

• Emma
    Emma

You don't owe him anything more than the notice you already gave. He sounds put out that he'll have to replace you. He should have thought of that before and made the job more than tolerable. He should not contact your new employer, though I don't know that you can stop him. Just let the new one know you're on board and his company is your future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit