Is it the JW's or the God of the bible you no longer believe?

by reniaa 407 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mary
    Mary
    Reniaa said: the bible doesn't mention celebrating jesus's birth at all and is very definate in not providing a date for his birth.

The bible also doesn't mention anything about either Jews or early Christians giving baby showers or celebrating wedding anniversaries or wearing a wedding ring, yet Jehovah's Witnesses do all of these. Does the fact that the bible does not mention something mean that it's wrong to celebrate it? You can actually use the same argument FOR celebrating Christmas and birthdays: Since birthdays were known in the ancient world, if it was truly that abhorrent amongst the Jews and early Christians, why arent' these celebrations condemned in the scriptures?

For the record I do not look up JW website for answers and as you see when quoting scriptures ,if i can i try to quote a whole passage so as not to lose the context involved. but i did look up wiki :) and so for your reference as you can see from this quote Jw's are not unique in their condemnation of it christmas is not popular by christian purests and I myself think it is more about worship these days in practise than a simple holiday, the same article says 96% of americans currently observe christmas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

LOL! Reniaa has to use Oliver Cromwell, a fanatical tyrant and wacko Puritan as an example as to why Christians shouldn't celebrate Christmas?? Yep......actually, 'Old Noll' is a wonderful example of a miserable old tosspod who denied the simplest of pleasures to the average Brit.......Reminds me of Rutherford.

[IMG][IMG]

That still doesn't explain why Christians can wear wedding rings. I mean, come on Reniaa.....the wedding ring originated in Egypt. Why are JW's allowed to wear them today? http://jesus-messiah.com/html/wedding_rings.html

Betrothal Rings in Early Christianity. How early the Christians adopted the Roman custom of the betrothal ring is unknown. There is no mention of betrothal rings in the New Testament, apparently because their use had not yet begun. The earliest Christian betrothal rings have been found in the Roman catacombs, underground burial-places dug outside the city of Rome from about A. D. 200. 19 From about the same time we have the testimonies of Tertullian and Clement of Alexandria about the Christian use of the betrothal ring. In the light of these archeological and literary evidences we can assume that Christians adopted the use of betrothal ring in the latter part of the second century.-------Churchill Babington, "Rings," A Dictionary of Christian Antiquities (London, 1908), vol. 2, p. 1794.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Many say how good it is to be free of the oppressiveness of the JW's that they can now enjoy the freedom to... have sex, celebrate christmas, gamble, embrace politics etc

Thank you for your question.

I have been married to the same man for over thirty years. Don't gamble. The Christmas aspect, though, is interesting.

When our family left, it wasn't due to "wanting freedoms," but due to unloving treatment. However, then the thought arose about Christmas.

While I was "in" and oh, so righteous, I would never do anything that even seemed questionable according to the WTS. When my daughter was in elementary school, there was going to be a party with a pinata. What to do? Research, of course, the Society's stand with regard to the pinata! I went to the bound volumes, and found the information I was looking for. The pinata was connected with FALSE worship, and was used at CHRISTMAS. It was not for Christians. I did not allow my child to have anything to do with this party. We could not partake of the table of demons and the table of Jehovah at the same time!

To my utter astonishment, a few years ago, the WTS completely changed its stand on pinatas, stating that although they may have been involved in false worship in the past, no one thought of them that way today, and so they were O.K!!!! My first thought was, "Wait a minute-most people today do not think of false worship when they celebrate Christmas-what's the difference?"

The WTS changes its mind on many things. One day, they believe something because it's from the Bible, but the next day change that belief and it's still from the Bible.

Hasn't this happened with regard to the ones killed at Sodom and Gomorrah? How many times have they flip-flopped on that one? I was conducting a Bible study one time, and didn't realize the LIVE FOREVER book had been revised to say the exact opposite from my issue. Think that was embarrassing? I didn't know what to think. One day, they will be resurrected, the next day they won't, but It's from the Bible.

Then, of course, I found out that at one time an obedient witness must view vaccinations as pus being taken into their body, and other equally assinine things, because, being taught in the Watch Tower magazine, it's from the Bible.

So, in answer to your question, I will be celebrating Christmas this year. Not because anything is or was pagan, but because Jesus (my mediator) was born, and angels in heaven rejoiced at his birth, and I will be remembering it. I'd always loved Christmas music, also, and now can really enjoy listening to it. And the lights-I remember JWs saying "Oh look at those ugly lights" and thinking that truthfully they were beautiful, even if I thought at the time it was disobedient to have them.

I also feel free to do something I always wanted to do, but felt was disobedient before. I am going to college. At 56 years old. I love to learn, and encourage young people to do the same (something an obedient witness must not do).

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

reniaa.

I am still a witness.

left my MS position because the elders are the most hypocritical people on earth.

the watchotwer told us that they help the people devastated by katrina and other natural disasters..... no one helped me, and they did not even call me to see if I needed help.... the local christian church was going around giving food and other emergency necessities/rations.

my witness wife loves me, and we have great SEX. unfortunately if I ever leave this faith.... she will probably divorce me in an instant (no immorality needed).

will give more experience later today

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Hi Reniaa,

Thank you for your direct reply to my question. I read it with interest but just wished to extend the question a little with your response, and try to see round a little false argumentation that might have popped into the conversation….

You replied:-

"My answer is consequences! police will tell you one time of the year they dread is christmas more deaths happen then than any other time from overindulgence, hospitals dread it for similar reasons, Worship is the only word I can apply to Christmas because of one main reason, if I choose to not celebrate it my children will suffer at school...thats something i can't avoid, if christmas was such a lovely good thing nothing that important, I would not be condemned and niether would my kids for not doing it but we will be and that is a fact! "

I don't quite understand the second part of your answer but what would be wrong with someone who didn’t believe the bible, sitting at home with his family and friends, enjoying the day of Christmas, maybe eating and drinking a little too much, but not to the point of dying, but just to the point where you think that you could have done without that last pile of mash potato….?? If the bible isn’t true then please explain what would be wrong with that scenario…?? (I can’t say that I have ever personally heard of someone dying from overindulgence at Christmas time)…???

The question on sex seems to be already covered….

What also would be wrong with someone playing the slot machines if the bible isn’t true…..??

And what would be wrong with someone voting if the bible isn’t true…??? Would it not be in his best interests if there was no truth in the bible….???

Looking forward to your reply, especially on the Christmas scenario.......

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

reniaa,

Your kids will be condemed in school if they do not celebrate Christmas and that proves Christmas is evil? Say what???

First of all, you are being a little dramatic. My kids did not celebrate Christmas until they were in middle school, and although some kids did ask them why they didn't observe it, they were not CONDEMED by anyone. What do you mean they will be condemed? Isn't that a tad bit strong of a word to use? Today most of society is integrated with many different belief systems and unlike the Witnesses, people are just not that judgemental about others beliefs. In fact I have always found "worldly" people to be very tolerable of my kids unique beliefs. My kids also went to school with many Jewish kids who did not "do" xmas and they also were not "condemed" by anyone either.

Lets face it, the only ones doing the "condeming" are the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Secondly, the idea of the Witnesses not observing Christmas had nothing really to do with its pagan origins. If so, it would never have been observed by them but in fact, it was observed by the very first WT president, Charles T. Russell.

It is common knowledge that holidays were not forbidden until Rutherford's reign of terror and this had more to do with the current WT president trying to distance himself from Russell's bible students followers and from the rest of Christianity in general. This is because Rutherford was a separatist. Just like the Puritans as someone already brought out.

Seperatists want to seperate themselves from the rest of society usually to "demonstrate" their self proclaimed piety to God. In other words they were haughty in their own eyes and believed because they did not participate in certain activities it made them more "spiritual" than other people. These groups all have in common judgeing of thier fellow Christians who choose to worship in a way they feel is wrong. However, again as was brought out many times, the bible is clear on one thing and that is whatever day, new moon or festival we are to observe is merely a conscience matter. It simply does not address any specific days such as Christmas in any way whatsoever.

Now, putting this matter to rest, lets move on;

Can you please show me and Mary and the others who have asked you again and again, where exactly the Bible forbids the observance of Christmas.

And can you answer my specific Question which is since you said Saturnalia and Christmas are the same holiday and thus both evil, can you explain to me exactly how they are the same, and why they are evil?

Lastly, you claim more people commit suicide during xmas that any other time of the year, please provide verifyable statistics to support this view.

Thanks, Lilly

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Rennia..Ha-ha!..I knew I could get your attention..You are very wrong!..The Bible "does say" the Angels Rejoiced..To "rejoice" is to "celebrate"!..Does it matter what day the Angels rejoiced?..The fact is,the Angels Celebrated the Birth of Jesus..It`s written in the Bible!..Are you going to ignore what is written in the bible??.....You have started a thread about people who ignore the Bible..Yet,you are guilty of the same thing!.....Now will you please answer my post properly..Don`t try to side step my Questions..I was raised in the JW Cult..I know every Deceitful Argument a JW can make..Deceit has nothing to do with Truth..I won`t let you get away with it!..... Please answer the Questions from my first post to you..LOL!!.....................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• flipper
    flipper

You notice how Renaiia doesn't respond much to most of you ? It's because she wants and needs attention , and just wants to stir $hit, er, the pot up. Personally, I think she enjoys wasting most of your time

• reniaa
    reniaa

Hi Peeps thankyou for the time you taken to reply to me i'll try and address as many as I can...

ak-jeff

Once again I must ask - What is Biblical morality? Is it the morals of Lot, who offered his virgin daughters to the seething crowds of Sodom, then shortly thereafter got drunk and was tricked into incest with those same virgins so that they may carry on his good name? You see what I mean. Surely Jesus would have condemned them all for such actions. Yet, by all Christians these people are held up in high esteem, as examples to follow?

This question you ask made me remember me asking similar ones starting from when i was young, I was used to 'happily ever after fairy tales' then i'd read my bible book of stories and you'd often get someone doing something really good then the next story they'd be bad again lol I was very disapointed in David and Solomon :) once onto bible reading it got even more indepth, There are very few that stand upto close scrutiny but isn't the principle of forgiveness of sins the whole point of jesus that only he was perfect? isn't all christianity about the struggle trying to do good knowing we are imperfect, its a reacurring christian theme in any christian faith lol many scriptures to choose one but i will pick one of my favourites on forgiveness of sins and jesus but i'm sure there are better examples as usual i'll give you a big lump so you can read in context.

Luke 17
    Sin, Faith, Duty
    1 Jesus said to his disciples: "Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come. 2 It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. 3 So watch yourselves.
    "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him. 4 If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him."

5 The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"

6 He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.

7 "Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? 8 Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? 9 Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? 10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' "

i think this example also covers your next point on shunning too

Many who leave Jw's are 'immoral' from a Jw perspective. But within many churches, they would be embraced as sinners who need repentance and the balm of love that the church can provide in helping them 'back to God'. Yet, Jw's would make them sit in the back of the hall and be ignored, shun them on the street, and refuse to speak with them in public. I must ask - who is showing the spirit of Biblical love espoused by both Jesus and his apostles?

if you look at my previous posts I do struggle with the JW expression of shunning, here jesus shows there is a principle of rebuking then repentence and forgiveness of sins, are the witnesses too harsh? personally I would say yes certainly within families but by the same token I've seen and been a victim of the opposite so for me that one is unpalatable too, when someone can say to themselves and to me "I have sinned but it's ok God will forgive me upto 70 times 7 because I am repentant because I can't help sinning" and see themself as righteous despite a grave sin commited the excuse being sinning can't be helped but forgiveness is assured.

And why would we widely assume that leaving the Jw's would lead to life that violates the Bible's basic morality

people can only answer this from a personal viewpoint which from the variety of responses the threads had so far it's very up in the air :)

hi LoveDubs

So the JWs say...WE follow the BIBLE! But by the way...you shouldnt follow what the bible says because it will lead you to evil?

good question :) the eternal quandary, the principle that we need others to explain the bible yet all are imperfect, The thought that leaning on your own understanding can lead to twisting of scripture is an issue recognised in the bible itself. Well I know if I had a teacher from every christian faith to explain how they express the bible in front of me it would be a case of choosing one I felt had it right but it's still me making the final decision. but I can understand the principle that just reading the bible alone may not be enough but the bible can be the rule against which a faith is measured. lol you can get a headache thinking on this to long ^^

hi homerovah

Lets put things into pure perspective though the WTS. was established to to empower men that would have other wise not have any at all.

was the gaining of power the main motivating reason for the establishment of WTs? I think i would question that assumption, from what i've read they were motivated more by the genuine feeling that faiths had in practise and teaching strayed from the scriptures. but then that is also true so many of the younger christian faiths now around, the catholics have a lot to answer for.

Doesn't religion only becomes redundant if we see God as redundant as well whichever God we follow?

hi Mary

Does the fact that the bible does not mention something mean that it's wrong to celebrate it?

but I would say by the same token the fact of it's not being mentioned doesn't make it right celebrate it either! isn't that why we are given bible principles to judge by so they can be applied to given situations that will not be mentioned, If I apply biblical principles to christmas it fails on a number of counts for me personally, with the lies involved (santa is an accepted mythical figure and do you not see in having him side by side with jesus it's begging for people to also see jesus as less than real by association?), also it's place in society, as i've said before it smacks more of worship than of just a fluffy holiday for fun which supposedly can be done or not at your own decretion, simply by people's reaction and treatment of me if I choose not to do it, if the pagan part is meaningless then why are we so driven to make sure all the 'traditions' of christmas are observed each one of these are pagan and have definite meanings from the tree to holly etc

It's misleading to compare a wedding ring to the whole circus that is christmas, like comparing a skyscraper to a hut. but it is a personal choice though and for myself the final say always goes to jesus and I try to visualise how he would view our love of christmas for me the answer is in the negative but others may be different and think jesus would like that sort of recognition.

hi Quandry

thanks for your reply, You raise the interesting point that Jw's is constantly rewritting were it draws the lines on issues, you use recent examples but it would be safe to say this is a a practise common with the witnesses from their start onwards, Rather than try and justify individual cases the question is...Is this constant reavaluation of stance a black mark against the Jw's?

Congratulations on the college on this one you have my agreement I think Jw stance on education is outdated and wrong, basically from the bible principle that jesus was allowed to get to 30 and learn a trade before he became the messiah, there are dangers with college so it's still a personal choice issue, but in this case the overprotectiveness of WTs has been to the detriment in my opinion.

hi again dacheech

To be honest it never bothered me that elders are as prone to feet of clay as everyone else is but you do sound unhappy, the one thing this thread has shown is many have left out of genuine disolutionment with Wts and still hold by bible principles. Your point on katrina makes me wonder if any person here on this forum could tell us if the Jw's do give aid as they say they do from personal experience in situations such as katrina?

hi mr majestic I got to you :) again

What also would be wrong with someone playing the slot machines if the bible isn’t true…..??

And what would be wrong with someone voting if the bible isn’t true…??? Would it not be in his best interests if there was no truth in the bible….???

Looking forward to your reply, especially on the Christmas scenario.......

The principle on gambling seems to be an established christian one not unique to just witnesses drawn from love of money, putting faith in chance.

Voting is a more difficult one from my research it is unique to witnesses, but I personally feel the principles involved are sound, as with in not putting faith in the salvation coming from men and being responsible for the actions of a government if you vote them in and they choose to goto war etc

lol I refer to my christmas point above for your consideration :)

thx again everyone.

Reniaa

• bobld
    bobld

It is the JW that I don't believe.You see they don't know what the Bible says.They are wishy washy and changed their minds just like the wind.One day the wind is blowing from the East and the next day it is from the West.As has been brought out on the Web, they shut down a site because it told the truth about the WBTS using their own publications. As one example,God's principles don't change yet they changed the principle on Blood.

You will hear comments at JW meeting,that many so called worldly people have high moral standards but...than attempt to qualify their answers as to why these people are bad.

As for myself and the Bible ,not enough time or room on this forum.

Bob

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

This has been an interesting thread and a variety of different perspectives have been presented. I will share a point that might add to the discussion about Christmas. Some people feel that the pagan roots of Christmas make it unacceptable for Christians. Of course, no one should violate their own conscience. However, I came across some interesting information after leaving the WT. There are at least two Psalms that have pagan origins. Psalm 19 and Psalm 29. According to John F. Craghan's book, "Psalms For All Seasons" (The Liturgical Press, 1993), the first part of Psalm 19 "was originally a pagan hymn honoring the Semitic god El...In its Israelite form the hymn naturally praises the God of Israel." He goes on to say regarding Psalm 29, "Scholars generally agree that this psalm was originally a pagan composition extolling the Canaanite god Baal, the weather god who through storms and rains brings fertility to the earth...In appropriating this hymn for her worship, Israel substituted the name of her god Yahweh (translated "the Lord") for that of Baal." That indicates to me that God isn't too worried about things that were once pagan but have now been "Christianized". If not, why did he allow those two Psalms to be in the Bible?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit