Why do they Continue to Request for more Bethel Workers?

by gumby 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    If this was a secular work environment there would be lawsuits

Soon after you arrive in Brooklyn, you must sign a number of legal documents. These are basically pieces of paper giving you ZERO recourse on any issue. Moreover, before you ever get to Bethel, you sign the application, in which you agree to fully abide by all rules outlined in the 'Dwelling Together in Unity' manual, having never seen the manual.

• undercover
    undercover
    and this is why they can for the most part, kick anyone out for any reason whatsoever without recourse

I guess because they're volunteers, not employees. Which jogs my memory...wasn't there a lawsuit where a Bethel sister sued the WTS for workman's comp after she was hurt while performing a duty that was tied to her relationship with the organization? The Society tried to claim that she was a volunteer, not an emloyee so the laws didn't apply but the courts ruled in her favor...if I remember correctly.

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970
    Which jogs my memory...wasn't there a lawsuit where a Bethel sister sued the WTS for workman's comp after she was hurt while performing a duty that was tied to her relationship with the organization? The Society tried to claim that she was a volunteer, not an emloyee so the laws didn't apply but the courts ruled in her favor...if I remember correctly.

If that is, in fact, true then they are truly evil. Walmart has nothing on them.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

That story is indeed true. She won in court. She and her husband were both chiropractors at Brooklyn Bethel.

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/?p=332&cp=1

I often wondered how badly those people were treated by their congregation, after winning a lawsuit against the Society.

I'm guessing that Bethel has updated the 'sign your life away' forms that all new Bethelites must sign.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It's funny when you'd hear how some wanted to make a career out of Bethel. Dumbasses. MINIMUS - in fairness the WTS society encouraged people to make a career out of Bethel service. The WTS are the main people to blame

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The law was passed a couple of years ago that anybody serving a religious community up to retirement age has to be provided with a pension fund and medical care by that religion.

Why is it only those coming up to retirement age that are being told to go out into the fields ripe for harvesting?

HB

Go figure.

• Open mind
    Open mind

They should have gone to this business model a long time ago. Of course it would have been a kindness to "grandfather in" those who have given decades of their lives and are now middle-aged with not much of a marketable skill set.

In practice, most Bethelites have just served 2 or 3 years and moved on. Their Bethel time was not, in itself, life-ruining. (The entire cult experience takes care of that.)

Bethel is moving towards having it be the norm that unless you're REALLY REALLY cut out for upper management, or you're already a University educated professional with a career to fall back on, you should not plan on serving more than 5 years. That way you've made your individual sacrifice to God, but it's not so devastating when you move on. Excellent use of "dedicated funds" and not quite so ruthless to the individual humans.

How they got to this model though was pretty sucky.

om

• yknot
    yknot

For many time at Bethel is the equivelent to a more long-term restrictive Jewish kibbutz.

• 1914BS
    1914BS

Think of how many young lives were wasted at bethell. They could have been fine doctors or mathematicians but no ..they all got mind rot while working for the diseased slave

• Satanus
    Satanus

Using the young for a few yrs is also like the military.

S

Ps, how's old babylon (wt) doing, gumby? Sorry, i had to ask. It's all i knew for the first 43

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit