How will the Watchtower help its members during hard economic times?

by truthseeker 30 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It's good to see many, many churches dipping into their funds to help the needy, the homeless and providing food and shelter for those who need it.

What can be said of "God's Organization"?

What do they do to help people in these tough economic times?

Will they help you with food? Medicine?

Will they dip into their billions of dollars to help those members who have lost jobs, homes and cars?

Even the apostles in the first century made sure the widows got their daily needs and the christians in those congregations contributed their needs so there would be an equalizing.

The most the elders would do for anyone is make sure a needy person has claimed all they can in government benefits (I have heard this a few times) and help you fill out the forms. They leave responsibility for the needy person to their family.

Yet the Bible says that the congregation was responsible for needy persons.

The most the Watchtower did for its members, of which its reasoning is at best untruthful, is to merge the weekly book study with the theocratic ministry school, thus savings its members gas money, but they will not do more than that.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I know of a sister who was a regular pioneer and had cancer.

She lost her job and only had one car payment left before the balance was cleared. She met with the elders who were mostly well off.

Not one of them dipped into their pocket or the congregation funds to help this poor pioneer who had been serving for years.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I know of a sister who was a regular pioneer and had cancer.

She lost her job and only had one car payment left before the balance was cleared. She met with the elders who were mostly well off.

Not one of them dipped into their pocket or the congregation funds to help this poor pioneer who had been serving for years.

JW's talk a good game about love, but as the example you cited shows, it's not universally practiced there. People aren't really encouraged to help each other in practical ways, because the organization wants people to focus on serving the organization. So in answer to your original question, what the WT will say is -- keep serving Jehovah, and he will provide for you. They frequently cite what King David wrote 'A young man I used to be, and I have grown old. And yet I haven't ever seen a servant of Jehovah begging for bread'. (The regular pioneer you mentioned above had a different experience than did King David.)

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

They will provide them with food at the proper time as they have done continuously since 1879, and with greater urgency since they were selected in 1919 to handle Jesus eathly affairs.

Yuck!

• shamus100
    shamus100

The society got rid of the bookstudy because of the high gas prices and hard times - that's what they did.

If you were in a third-world country, and had to walk ten miles to go to a meeting with no food, you're not worth consideration. First-world economies trump third-world economies.

Can you believe people actually believe this crap?

• TopHat
    TopHat

The Watchtower should provide money to the congregations to help, at least their own members who need bread on the table and clothes to wear for their children who go to school. I suppose the Elders could determine who those members are.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Nosferatu,

You are right. It is the people in the congregation who help other people out, NOT the religion or organization. It does zero.

You are also right about people in the religion who take from other people and give nothing back. I noticed there was no shortage of users in the religion.

Sadly, when generous people see that they are being taken advantage of by somebody who is a moocher they simply stop giving. I also heard stories of unsuspecting generous people who made the mistake of taking somebody into their premises and lived to regret it when the person turned out to be no good. The same goes for giving somebody a job. There is a persistent delusion among people in the religion that they can do anything and expect to be forgiven with no consequences.

LHG

• 1914BS
    1914BS

Nope those F***in FDS slaves are in it for the money

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I agree that the Society does very little "helping" - it's all about getting members to help out each other.

Our congregation always had a surplus of money left over at the end of each month - what do you suppose it's used for? A new kingdom hall fund that will never see the light of day.

It's also true that some JWs are simply lazy and they do take advanatge of their brothers and sisters.

I know of one young brother who got hired by an elder to do some contracting - he had to let this brother go after he was found constantly taking breaks on the job.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

How will the Watchtower help its members during hard economic times? Sell all its Real Estate and donate the money to its members

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit