Black Widow Spider bites beware!

by Thechickennest 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

We have red back spiders...very small and very poisonous.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Spiders... yuck.

That Bananna Spider is really, really awful looking.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Note to self: Do NOT visit South Dakota.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer
    Just more proof of Jehover's wonderously designed creation. He truly is a loving god to have designed such a creature.

It's reasonable to assume that there were no poisonous spiders or mosquitoes inside the boundaries of the Garden of Eden, even as there wasn't any weeds. Outside the Garden of Eden had not been cultivated, and was where the thorns and thistles grew. -- Genesis 3:18.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

So you're saying part of Adams job was going to be to expand the garden and kill off all of the abominations that god created along the way?

• tinker
    tinker

I'm an avid gardener and generally not afraid of spiders. I protect them because most are extremely beneficial. But you guys are FREAKIN ME OUT !

• Gregor
    Gregor

Beautiful and harmless. Still hard to keep still if you walk into a web and this baby ends up in your hair!

• dinah
    dinah

Gregor, I have one of those on my back porch. Some mornings I just sit and watch her catch bugs and repair her web.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I like spiders, aside from the occasional danger they can pose. Good insect control. Mosquitoes kill far more.

• Confession
    Confession

Being from Michigan, I wasn't aware of ever having seen any dangerous spiders. Nor did I ever live anywhere that required extermination. But upon moving to Arizona? Ohhh Emmm Geee! I could not believe how many different varieties of critters there were out here--including Black Widows. I was taught to recognize them by their incredibly stiff webs. And I think here in Arizona they're not quite as sleek as the picture in the above post. I remember it being a little thicker, with a larger body. Once I had a showdown with one in my garage. I just had a can of spider killer, and kept spraying it mercilessly over the course of about thirty minutes. Tough little bastard.

I immediately hired an exterminator and it pretty much ended. (While I did occasionally find a little insect here and there--it turned out that the only people on my block who didn't exterminate were my next-door-neighbors, and they moved out and were replaced by people who exterminate regularly, like me. Now, I see nothing in my house ever.)

About three and a half months ago I found what was apparently a big old spider bite on the inside of my left bicep. It puffed up, getting worse and worse, eventually looking a bit like a couple of rings around a bullseye. I wasn't able to identify any other symptoms so didn't go see a doctor. Now, about fifteen weeks later, I can still make out the mark on my arm. I think it may have been a brown recluse.

Did I mention I hate spiders? I think it goes back to when my big sister (four years older than I) would pin me down on the floor and hold this big nature book in my face. She'd turn to the big, full-color picture of a spider, saying, "Ooooh, it's big and hairy, and it's gonna crawl in your mouth!!!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit