Black Widow Spider bites beware!

by Thechickennest 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

This year in our part of the county all spiders and black widows seem to more visable this year than in previous years

This brings me to the subject I would like to share with all in with idea that someone might saved some agony.

Last Thursday night just before I was going bed, a large black spider fell out of my pajama shorts to the floor landing in between my feet.I tried to step back but the spider spun a web between my feet and when I moved the spider moved! I finally got a good look at the spider before I wrapped her in TP and flushed her down the toilet. By the time I made it to my bed I could feel a soreness on my right hip. I felt the spot and it was hot and moist to the touch. I got out of bed. Damn spider had nailed me good. I went to the computer and looked up Black Widow spider bites. Seems the females like the one that bit me have the strongest venom. (15 times more potent that a prairie rattlesnake).

To make this story short and to the point heres what happend: I went to the emergency room with sever chest and abdominal pain. As the venom moved through my system I then had pain in my arms and legs and groin area. My doctor admitted me to the hospital from the emergency room. I spent four days in the cardiovascular unit as my blood pressure was really high and was not responding to any medication. I was then given the anti-venom which nuetralized the venom in my system. It was then that my blood pressure started to stabilize and the pain began to go away. If this had happened to a child, elderly person or one that was weak in health, it certainly could be fatal. Now, in order to keep the blood pressure stable I am one 3 blood pressure medications. I am taking a nerve pain medicine along with another pain medication. I am still kind of spacey and my skin is a little numb and itchy. My blood pressure goes up and down a lot but it does not get so high as before.

Clean and vacuum all the dark corners of your house inside and out. Spray for spiders. Look up Black Widows on the internet and educate your self. If you are from the south you have the Brown Recluse to deal with also.

So be careful. There are some spiders out there than can do a lot of harm

From bitten in South Dakota!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I found three huge ones in my garage earlier this year. I saw one dangling off of the pressure washer not two feet from my toddler.

I fogged the garage.

BTS

• dinah
    dinah

OMG!

Brown recluse spiders make me afraid to dig around in old clothes and closets much.

Hope everything works out for you.

Oh, and thanks for making me vacuum all the corners,

• shamus100
    shamus100

As Outlaw can confirm, we have a lot in parts of British Columbia. They are everywhere - I never really gave them a second thought, really.

Glad that you're okay! Pretty scary story.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

SAW a Brown Recluse the other day

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I have a scar on my chin from a brown recluse....I spent 4 days in the hospital 2 years ago. It almost made my throat close.

Scary stuff!! Glad you are ok!!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Dang it! I almost wish you hadn't told me this... I have seen black widows in my raised bed gardens... it scares me to go pick anything!

I'm going to go Google what do do first if and when bitten...

Thanks (I think!)
    Baba.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I just squashed a little black spider with my hand the other day, because my stepdaughter was freaking out just from seeing it, Does anyone know if there are poionous spiders in Ohio?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Does anyone know if there are poionous spiders in Ohio?

All spiders are poisonous to varying degrees.

I do believe that there are black widows and brown recluses in Ohio.

BTS

• misguided
    misguided

We have black widow spiders where we live. When my son, now 11, was about 2, one came through the garage into our laundry room. It got into the laundry pile, and while I was putting a load into the machine it came out and bit my little guy on the ankle. I freaked. I put the spider into a jar, and headed off to the ER with him.

His ankle got very red and swollen. At the ER, they were not in any panic. The ER doctor says to me, that yes, it is a "classic black widow bite," commented on how quickly the female spider had made a web in the jar, and then told me that for some reason, in BC the spider's bites are usually no worse than a bee sting. He was fine - so I guess they were right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit