Black Widow Spider bites beware!

by Thechickennest 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Just to give you an idea what one looks like

• Gregor
    Gregor

Right now I can hardly walk around my grounds because the Orb spiders have huge webs everywhere. They are big and scary looking but harmless to all but other insects. On the rare occasion I find a BW spider I dispatch them quickly.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

here's a website that might be helpful.

It shows pics of spiders and gives remedies for bites, ect

http://www.spiderzrule.com/commonspidersusa.htm

the pic of the black widow here is different from the black widow shown above. I guess the six species look different?

Black Widows comprise about six species and inhabit most of the warmer regions of the world to a latitude of about 45 degrees N. The female black widow spider, though it is the most venomous spider in North America,
  • BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Yes there are different types of black widows, Cameo... the one on your site is what I believe to be a Northern version. Plus, and this is very important, the Southern version is completely black on the topside, the tell-tale red hourglass is on the underside!

The main difference in the black widow bite and a brown recluse bite is that black widows' poison is systemic (meaning you get sick all over, systemically) and the brown recluse is tissue destroying, your flesh starts dying close to the bite. It truly can get horribly nasty.

All told, apparently there is ~little~ to worry about, as one website claimed there had not been a death by black widow bite in ten years... of course, who's counting? Besides how many spiders are in the kitchen garden, I mean.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Just more proof of Jehover's wonderously designed creation. He truly is a loving god to have designed such a creature.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Just be glad you don't live in Brazil. They have the banana spider, which can hide in shoes and pack an even nastier bite.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Ohio and most of the Middle West have black widows and brown recluse spiders. Used to find em in the garage all the time

In Oklahoma the rattlesnakes and copperheads eat the spiders........much safer1 The snakes are easier to see.

J

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Wow, you must have a pretty severe allergy! I would ask your Dr about an epi pen in case of a future bite. If the first one was this bad anything from here out might be anaphilactic shock in minutes!

It all depends on the sensitivity to the venom. I got bitten on my thunb about three years ago it got really red and swollen but that was about it. The biggest problem I suffered was I couldn't whack off for about a week. lol

I've got a spider chart with all the different poisinous spiders with pics and locations if anyone wants it I'll post it so you can print it... (I don't come on the site to often anymore so if you want it you should email me or pm me)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Just be glad you don't live in Brazil. They have the banana spider, which can hide in shoes and pack an even nastier bite.

We have these in South Florida. Lots of nasty tropical animals have taken root here. They are HUGE. BTS

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

Homerovah:

That is the spider that bit me. Thanks for the picture. It really is an evil looking spider and very aggressive!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit