Did You Find That A Lot of JWs Were Cheap?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I remember taking my bookstudy group out for coffee and donuts for Saturday service breaks. I always paid. One day, some dope decided to have BREAKFAST! and of course he had no $$ on him and expected me to pay as I always picked up the tab. I was insulted. I said I wasn't paying for him---just everyone else. He begged everyone for some money until they chipped in.

• undercover
    undercover

I have to agree...it did seem that a good number of JWs were cheap. They were always looking for a deal on something. I remember when a brother or sister found a cheap deal on something they'd share it with the others and all the cheapos would stampede the place. From yard sale scrap heaps to cheap suits to free meals in restaurants on their birthdays(how that never constituted celebrating I don't know), a JW could find the cheapest deals in town.

I remember one sister thought she found the cheapest mechanic in town. He was cheap...he charged about half the going rate. She told everyone in the congregation and everyone started giving this guy their business...until they realized that their cars were breaking down more often. He was using cheap replacement parts and in some cases "helped" along a failure of something else that would require work. What a bunch of dupes...

That's not to say there aren't cheap "worldy" people, there are. But the ratio of cheap to non-cheap in the "world" is far less than the ratio of cheap to non-cheap in the JWs.

• minimus
    minimus

And funny, Bethelites had great taste!

• Agnes
    Agnes

Well, my own experience with the JWs I know points to, yes. The JWs I know borrow from everyone and yet won't acknowledge our existence otherwise. When our JW relatives visit, they seem to have a real sense of entitlement, in that they never offer to pay for anything. And, to make matters worse is their air of superiority. I don't mind helping out a relative, friend or neighbor, but the buck stops as soon as I feel taken advantage of. Agnes

• undercover
    undercover
    I remember taking my bookstudy group out for coffee and donuts for Saturday service breaks. I always paid. One day, some dope decided to have BREAKFAST! and of course he had no $$ on him and expected me to pay as I always picked up the tab. I was insulted. I said I wasn't paying for him---just everyone else. He begged everyone for some money until they chipped in.

That's great! That reminds me of how all the JWs would pack a lunch for long service days and at lunch would descend on a diner and order drinks only (usually just water) and sit and eat their PB&J at the table. They wouldn't leave a tip and they cost the owner revenue having tied up a table or two for the better part of the lunch hour. This happened so much at one diner that they finaly put up a sign, saying no outside food. Whenever I see that sign now, I think they must have had a problem with JWs, LOL. Another place where this happened, a brother was in there for lunch while dressed in his window washing clothes and he overheard the waitresses talking about a group of JWs coming in. Their words were not kind. The brother told the JWs about it later at the hall and they all decided, as a goup, to boycott that restaurant. I remember at the time thinking that all they did was give the guy back his business they had been stealing...

• StAnn
    StAnn

UC, I can't believe the nerve. To sit in a restaurant, dirtying up their glasses with water, and not so much as leaving a tip? That is just plain rude. This is so thoughtless. Typical JW.

StAnn

• minimus
    minimus

I felt bad for the places where Witnesses would just descend and stay for an hour occupying all the tables. It was embarrassing, esp. when certain ones NEVER would tip.

• undercover
    undercover
    UC, I can't believe the nerve. To sit in a restaurant, dirtying up their glasses with water, and not so much as leaving a tip? That is just plain rude. This is so thoughtless. Typical JW.

It happened...but I'll say this: It wasn't the typical JW. It was usually a minority of the congregation. But every congregation that I was a part of, a percentage of the JWs would do this. It demonstrated to me just how cheap so many JWs were.

Comparatively speaking, I know only one or two people outside of the JWs who would do the same thing in a restaurant. And these are people I don't particularly like or want to associate with. Inside the JWs, there wasn't much choice but to associate with the cheap dubs, especially in service related circumstances.

My mother did this when I was a kid and even then I hated it....I mean hated it. Not only was it not cool to look poor(which we weren't), but something inside me told me as a kid even, that something was wrong with going into a restaurant and taking a table to eat a meal you fixed at home.

When I got older, I always ordered food if we went into a diner or restaurant in service. If I didn't have the money, then I ate my sandwich in the car. Then when I waited tables for a w hile between career jobs, I learned even more how rude it was. I lost money when college kids would come in and order sodas and appetizers and hang out for a couple of hours and then leave next to nothing for a tip. And it reminded me of how those JWs were thought of when they did even worse.

• zagor
    zagor

Yup, most were so cheap, they weren't even paying attention

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

nope..

no more or less than any other slice of society

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit