No More gum chewing

by Iwonder17 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Emmylou
    Emmylou

Gum chewing could be much better than bad breath. Soooo nit picky.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

- "please figure out a way to stick some under every frikkin seat in the hall"

I chewed tons of gum at the hall. I had my suit coat pocket filled with little foil balls.

My parents always used to let me choose the seats for the meeting. I always made it a point to sit in the same chairs. During the prayer, I would take the ball of gum out of my mouth, remove the plastic plug from one end of the chair, and let my gum roll down the hollow chair frame. Once both sides of the chair frame became filled with gum, I would switch where we sat and fill yet another chair with gum. I have no clue how many I filled, but it was quite a few. I even got caught once by some snotty sister "Those chair make great trash receptacles, don't they" and she gave me this look like she was king shit and I was a stupid bad association piece of dirt. Didn't stop me from filling the chairs though :)

• Poztate
    Poztate
    At one of the last CA's I attended they made the announcement that 'chewing gum is a rude and unclean habit'

Get ready for the new announcement.....Chewing gum at the KH is now a DF'ing offence.....

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I don't see how it's rude. Uncouth maybe if you are snapping the gum and chewing it with your mouth open, but otherwise it's not objectionable. Unless of course you stick it under my furniture!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To me, chewing gum is not that rude unless you are in a formal business meeting. And by formal, I mean where most of the audience is going to see it. If you are on the platform giving a talk, then I can see why it's not a good idea to chew gum. And, I never did it while in field circus but more for practical reasons about getting rid of the used gum. (I used to use Tic Tacs instead.)

However, there is no way in hell you are going to get me to believe that chewing gum is unclean. True, some of the chemicals in the gum (read: aspartame) may be poison. However, you are going to find aspartame in many "foods" eaten in field circus. That includes the diet sodas that are commonly consumed while out in field circus or at lunch break (and they don't call that unclean). But I will not agree that gum chewing is unclean (smoking, however, does mess up one's lungs and it can dirty surfaces in the room where smoking is going on).

Again, just because one member (Ted Jaracz, maybe?) of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger says it's rude doesn't make it rude. I bet the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger is going to get together and push a 2/3 majority ruling on it and rule against chewing gum while at the Kingdumb Hell or in field circus. (And I wonder if they are going to also rule against Tic Tacs while they are at it). No problem for me--I just won't go in the Kingdumb Hell or out in field circus.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Actually, the other night I stuck my used gum on the hood of his car

LOL! I did that once too in west Sacramento. The co was a real tightass too, and had a fetish for nitpicking anything. Gum was a top one. I took my Krazy Glu and put a dab on his door handle and stuck my gum on it.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Here they go again talking on both sides of their mouth. I remember an article in one of the AWAKE magazines about gum and its many benefits to your teeth and health.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Actually chewing gum is a positive for dental health.

Chewing Gum

Studies have shown that chewing gum can have an indirect, positive effect on dental hygiene. Chewing gum after meals helps to stimulate the production of saliva and overall salivary flow. Saliva helps to wash away and neutralize the acid produced by bacteria in plaque. This acid is responsible for dental decay and bad breath. Chewing gum can also help relieve pressure in your ears and sinuses by encouraging jaw movement.

On the other hand, chewing gum typically contains a sweetener of some type. Chewing gum that contains sugar, for example, can be harmful to your teeth. Sugar fuels the acid-producing bacteria in your mouth.

There are, however, a number of sweeteners that help prevent cavities and reduce the acid production in your mouth. Xylitol, a natural sweetener found in many fruits and vegetables, tastes and looks like sugar but without the negative side effects. Chewing gum that contains high levels of xylitol fights cavities and dental decay by creating an unwelcome environment for bacteria. Xylitol is one of bacteria's natural enemies-in a xylitol-rich environment, bacteria lose their ability to stick to teeth and are therefore unable to colonize and turn into plaque.

http://www.sprydental.com/spry/articles/chewing-gum.aspx
  • blondie
    blondie

*** km 8/01 pp. 3-4 par. 9 Good Manners—A Trait of Godly People ***During congregation meetings, Christian ministers of God are speaking in order to impart some spiritual gift to upbuild us. (Rom. 1:11) It would certainly demonstrate very poor manners on our part if we were to doze off, noisily chew gum, repeatedly whisper to someone sitting nearby, make unnecessary trips to the rest room, read unrelated material, or attend to other things during the meeting. Elders should be exemplary in this regard. Good Christian manners will move us to show proper respect for the speaker and his Bible-based message by giving him our undivided attention.

I guess snapping your gum is out.

Actually, I did find gum stuck under chairs when I cleaned the KH. What are they going to do frisk people for gum packets or snatch it out of your mouth.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Remember the commercial, double your pleasure with the Doublemint twins? How about Spearmint, the gum that refreshes? Juicy fruit gum, em, delicious! Dentine! whiten your teeth!

I guess the gb are gumming it.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit