No More gum chewing

by Iwonder17 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Confession
    Confession

I get a kick outta this one...

Just look at the varying opinions expressed in this thread. My opinion? There's generally nothing wrong with chewing gum unless, yes, you are doing so noisily or with demonstrative exuberance. But, again, it's just my opinion--and no better than yours.

When I was an elder, there was a particular guy on the body who simply hated gum chewing. He was an otherwise mild, diplomatic person...but this subject made him rabid. He simply couldn't believe that, at our hall, there was not already a defined policy on this. This is funny, because I now remember how different I was from the rest of the body. Even though I was as zealous as any of them, I commented freely that I thought it wrong for us to set up so many rules about things that asserted our personal opinions--and restricted the personal choices of the friends.

He just shook his head.

• chickpea
    chickpea
    it wrong for us to set up so many rules about things that asserted our personal opinions--and restricted the personal choices of the friends.

only a miserable apostate would say such a thing!!!!!!!!

um... you havent copyrighted that statement, have you?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Hey Blondie....."Noisely chewing gum." When was the last time you saw a borther chewing gum at the hall going "NUM...NUM...NUM" like some Forrest Gump moron.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I have not seen it myself but years ago an active JW and collector of old JW-material told me that chewing gums were condemned in the Golden Age-magazine.

• laneh
    laneh

Be sure you don't put gum or super glue in keyholes.

• Confession
    Confession
    um... you havent copyrighted that statement, have you?

Um...yes..yes I have. It is mine. Would you care to license its use? I'll cut you a sweet deal...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I went to several congregations, none of them had rules banning chewing gum. I was asked by a sister if I was really going to chew gum on Memorial night. She feared someone would think she had partaken and start those nasty "annointed??" rumors.

One brother named Hans said to us teenagers one night, a variation of this little insult:

"A gum-chewing girl, and a cud-chewing cow are different, yet alike somehow!"

Professionally, yes, I can see it's tacky to chew gum, but I don't think it's rude unless someone pops the gum very loudly like my ex husband, the JW, used to do on purpose because he knew it bothered me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit