Is college worth it?

by NewYork44M 36 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Corporations depend on a steady stream of college educated kids to keep their business model operating. The beautiful thing for them is that the cost of the degrees was free for them. Corporations don't care if you come to work for them carrying a heavy load of college loans either- and $50,000 to $100,000 is not unusual these days. College tuition is very reasonable in California, but not in most states. Society needs to change the education model and it's cost structure, but then Colleges are really businesses, too. They don't like anybody messing with their profit structure and possibly laying off some tenured professors. Supply side econmics 101 does not govern the decisons of college trustees right now.

It occurred to me that the big financial mess the USA is in right now was orchestrated by professionals who had advanced university degrees and college educated politicians failed to rein them in a few years ago when they had the chance. The working man who did not go to college will pay for their greedy lapse in judgement.. Why not admit that we are just like China?- they privatize the profits and socialize the losses upon the backs of the peasants. I'm done ranting.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Most wihte collar jobs with a career path require a four-year degree. Even if you have skills you will not get to the interview process unless your resume shows a four-year degree. I work in a mid-size organization in finance/audit. No one with the exception of some data entry clerks have less than a four year degree.

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's hard to generalize on this; given the demand for skilled plumbers and electricians, people with these skills may well earn much more than college graduates whose major is in relatively low-demand areas like English or music. Yet the available statiistics suggest that have a degree confers an enormlous advantage in early capacity, choices and overall quality of life. The real point is: choosing to go to college, or not to, is a spiritually neutral decision. College life, of course, presents its own temptations; life as an unskilled worker in a factory is no better and usually worse, in terms of control over one's life and companions.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Employers don't really care about degrees all it tells them is that the holder is quite intelligent and able to persevere in a long effort. On the other hand without a degree one can't get very far in seeking well paying employment and risk falling into badly paying jobs. That's what many dubs regreted after having given up university due to the cultic influence.

Also today many people just buy a degree or get it from universities with very lax standards where all course work is credited highly however poor and casual it may be.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

for self worth and personal stimulation and growth - ABSOFU---GLUTELY

• d
    d

I am in college and I am think about dropping out should I?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Why?

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

d- What are you studying? Why do you want to drop out? If you leave, do you have an alternative, such as a job or career that you are qualified for? How close are you to finishing? How are you paying for college, and are you incurring a lot of debt? The only think I can say for sure is that no one can answer your question without more information.

• d
    d

I am in General studies I have one more class to graduate but I just feel like it is so pointless. I started in 2008 and it is 2012 I am still at my same school. I feel like their is no point.I feel stuck.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Well, my $0.02 is that a degree in general studies is of limited value compared to other degrees, but if you have one class left, I don't see what the point of dropping out is. Having a bachelors degree (I'm assuming that's what you would get) automatically qualifies you for a lot of jobs that you wouldn't even be considered for otherwise just by virtue of having the degree. Anymore, a lot of jobs that you wouldn't think you would need a college degree for require them, for example working at a rental car company, working a lot of government jobs, etc. It sounds like you are discouraged, but you don't know what kind of jobs might be out there that you want in 5, 10, or 20 years, and the money and time commitment to take one more class is probably pretty minimal. You didn't say what your alternative is if you drop out. If you don't have one in mind, why not finish?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit